Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Birthday Shirt: Minty McCall's 6044

For my husband's birthday, I had big plans to sew him a couple different shirts, moving beyond my TNT McCall's 6044.


I was looking at a couple in my stash (Vogue 8759 for work and Hot Patterns Coal, Iron and Railway Company Shirt for a casual look) and even pulled out fabric to go with each.


But life intervened and I ran out of time and energy to measure the new patterns against my TNT... so another McCall's 6044 it was! Hey, if it works, it works.

After making 4 of these for my husband already (chambray, stripes, batik, more chambray), I feel like I might be able to make it in my sleep. Same adjustments as usual: size L at the shoulders, blended to somewhere between M and L for the waist, hips and arm width.


The fabric is some lovely, super lightweight crinkly (I swear I ironed it!) cotton stripe from Clear It in Fitzroy, Melbourne. When I was in town over Christmas, some of Melbourne's lovely sewing ladies suggested I check out Clear It out for fabric sales. So glad I did! It's a factory outlet, with both clothes and fabric from Australian designers. There were a ton of gems in the mix, like this shirting. Plus, the 50% off sale couldn't be beat. 


I didn't bother with stripe matching on this shirt. The stripes were just too small and the fabric too easily stretched out of shape. I switched the stripe direction for the pocket, but that's about it.


He likes it! The lightweight fabric is great for Bangkok's hot weather. And the green color is a bit different than other shirts in his closet. Not the most exciting birthday present, but a nice one, nonetheless.


For those of you who liked it last time (Colleen), here's some more "business Tim," i.e. Tim wearing his new shirt in his natural habitat, type-ity typing away at the computer.


13 comments:

  1. Great shirt! You've got that down!

    Do you really get used to the outside temperature in Bangkok? Enough to venture forth in long sleeve shirt and jacket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody!

      Ha ha, we never get used to the outside temperatures here- always sweaty!! But office buildings are always super air conditioned- Tim's is so cold he NEEDS a jacket to stay warm!

      Delete
  2. Great colour choice. I been meaning to make my husband a shirt but he refuses to be on the blog so i keep delaying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! Ha ha, yeah, it takes a little bit of arm twisting to take Tim's photo for the blog, but in the end he'll do it.

      Delete
  3. I love it! And "business Tim" is awesome! In his natural habitat! I think I spy some sewing books behind him? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye, Inder! That's my sewing book stash behind Business Tim's head. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Good job! It's a really nice color on him. I've made this pattern before, too. Check it out here:

    http://seecarmensew.com/2015/05/25/a-successful-foray-into-menswear-mccalls-6044/

    It was the one and only time I ever ventured into menswear. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carmen! This pattern really is a great one for a first attempt at menswear- very forgiving with its relaxing fit. Yours is lovely!!

      Delete
  5. Looks great, Meg! I love the pictures of Business Tim. That color looks great with his jacket and pants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaah you're a good wife! And my word isn't Clear It the best?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Clear It was pretty great... definitely some crap in there, but also some seriously great gems, too!

      Delete
  7. Another great shirt!! Tim's a lucky guy!

    ReplyDelete