Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Testing, testing: Morgan Jeans


The Morgan boyfriend jeans pattern is meant for non-stretch denim. It features "a mid-rise, traditional five pocket construction, contoured waistband, tapered leg and button fly," and "fits snugly through the hip."

  
I'm not used to wearing boyfriend style jeans- in the past I've steered clear of them because I figured they would be too straight in the hips for pear-shaped me. I'm happy to say that the Morgan jeans have enough hip curve to be flattering for the hippy ladies!


When I chose my size for testing, I erred towards the larger of the two sizes I spanned because of the "snug in the hip" description. But after trying them on and realizing I'd made a pair of quite slouchy boyfriend jeans, I think I could have easily gone with the smaller size and been fine.


It's been so long since I've worn non-stretch denim that I forgot how stretched out it can get after a day's wear! My jeans sag out something fierce after wearing them. Since they're already a size too big, they stretch out in an epic way: I can pull them off without unbuttoning them. It doesn't help that I don't own a dryer to tighten them back up...


For my first button fly, I found it to be quite simple using the pattern instructions. Pretty proud of how it turned out... and totally forgot to take close-up photos!


Please note: these are an early test version of the Morgan jeans, so some of the fit issues you might see have been fixed in the final pattern. After several rounds of thorough testing, Heather made several changes to the final pattern including adding a bit more ease through the leg, scooping out the back crotch curve. I'm really looking forward to making a pair from the final pattern (and a size down!)!!


My denim is some lightweight stuff I picked up here in Bangkok. It's quite, um, blue. I think it needs a bit of distressing. For some reason the super saturated solid color makes me think of Seinfeld. Noooooo! Not the boyfriend style I am going for. Must break out the sandpaper and/or cheese grater on this pair!


P.S.: what am I doing with my hands in this photo below? Pocket jazz hands?

27 comments:

  1. These look really great, Meg! I'm always happy to see how things fit on a fellow hippy lady. I like the slouch that you've got going but I've owned my fair share of pants that slip off without unbuttoning and I know that is super annoying. I ordered this pattern yesterday and I can't wait to make them when it comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! Yeah, the whole pants slipping off thing is not great. I am super excited to make myself a pair from the final pattern, though, as I think they will be pretty awesome. I can't wait to see yours, too!!

      Delete
  2. They look fantastic, Meg! I was curious about us hippier laddies, and you've sold me. (BTW, I totally think you should call these your Seinfeld jeans just because it's hilarious. But they def DON'T look like his jeans, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! Ha, I have been calling them the Seinfeld jeans. But that hasn't stopped me from wearing them ;-) Are you thinking of making some Morgans? I think they'd look cute on you!

      Delete
  3. My second pair of tester jeans was made with a similarly blue denim. Joann doesn't have a ton of options in non-stretch denim, but I called that look Dad jeans instead of Seinfeld! I need to find some time to distress them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Dad jeans is pretty accurate! Your jeans look great, though, by the way!

      Delete
  4. You are rocking this jeans!!! I do not see any fit issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great on you. This looks like a great pattern. I haven't even made the Ginger jeans yet and I want to start on the Morgan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I think it is a great pattern - very versatile and classic!

      Delete
  6. These look great! At least on my monitor, they don't have that too blue/Dad jeans/Seinfeld look, so hopefully, it won't take too much sanding to fix that in-person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! Glad to know they're not too Dad-jean-y! Not that that's stopped me from wearing them anyway!!

      Delete
  7. These look awesome Meg!! I don't think they are Seinfeld blue, but that reference made me laugh - don't wear any white cross trainers with them. LOL. I hope you make another pair in the smaller size, so you can wear them without them bagging out too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Ha ha, no white cross trainers for me!
      Definitely planning on making another pair in a smaller size (and in nicer denim!). Love your Morgans, too, by the way- can't wait for the blog post for more info!!

      Delete
  8. They look great! But I need to help to figure out if I'd like them or not... oddly, I feel like my baggier pairs of gingers fit like a lot of people's Morgans seem too... and Morgans seem like they need a belt to hold them up? I haven't worn a belt in years. Would I like them, or should I stick with Gingers? Be my guide!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillian! Hmmmm... I feel like I can't provide proper advice on these until I make a pair with the final pattern. I think many of the changes Heather made will solve little fit problems I have. Only then I can give you an informed opinion!

      Delete
    2. Fair enough. I'm definitely not making jeans any time soon, so I might wait a while and see if I'm still interested in the pattern!

      Delete
  9. The jeans look just great. Soak in hot water to try to shrink them up. BTW, They'll soften and become stressed on their one, don't bother with the stressing bit! I happen to like "blue" jeans, especially when they look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No dryer!!!!???? Well, I thought things had truely changed in Bangkok since my family (aunt, uncle, and cousins) lived there in the 70's. HOWEVER do you manage? (Irony intended.) I imagine lots of ironing too...

    I've put on a few pounds in the last couple of years and I truly miss being able to pull my pants off without unbuttoning/unzippering them. So, enjoy!

    As a newly retired person, my biggest regret in life is never living abroad. I look forward to your posts, and little tidbits about your life in Asia. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- no dryer. Well, technically I have a combination washer/dryer, but all the dryer setting does is basically heat up the clothes, so I end up with hot, wet clothes after 2 hours.

      Delete
  11. These look very pro! Look forward to seeing your slightly snugger version!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like them, I saw Carolyns pair and she liked the hip room too. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, hips are what stopped me from wearing boyfriend jeans or men's jeans in the past. But the Morgan Jeans are the solution!

      Delete
  13. Can I ask what size you made? I think our measurements are very similar and I don't want to make them too big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne- I made a size 18. I think next time I would go for a 16.

      Delete