Sunday, March 20, 2016

Polka Dot Roberts Dungarees

Sorry for the long blogging break! I've been away from my machine for a little while now, traveling around to Cambodia and Vietnam with my mom. But we did sneak a bit of sewing in in between travels!


I'd been planning to make my mom a pair of the dungarees/overalls from Marilla Walker's Roberts collection basically from the day the pattern was released. She loves overalls. Plus, I was so happy with my Roberts jumpsuit and top. What a versatile pattern...!


Since she's been in the region, we had a chance to do a bit of fabric shopping and a bit of sewing, including the Roberts overalls. It was a team effort, with both of us exchanging sewing tips and techniques we've learned. Very fun, as I never get this much time to do crafty things with my mom!


The overalls are made from some polka dot canvas we bought locally here in Bangkok, with adorable black and white buttons from my favorite bargain button stall at Bangkok's weekend market.



We opted for sets of buttons/button tabs on both hips and my mom knotted the straps through buttonholes at the top of the bib. She did take home extra buttons in cases she decides to change her mind regarding the knots, though:


We cut a size 3 at top and graded to a size 5 at the hips, but somewhere along the way our grading seemed to get a little bit wonky. Ultimately we ended up narrowing the waist and hips to take in some bunchy excess fabric there. I think it was a combination of our grading and the fact that the Roberts' style is a bit looser than my mom wanted/was used to.  


We ended up fiddling with the side seams in the pocket region quite a bit to get a nice fit and smooth line across the hip. Because of this fiddling, we decided to lengthen the button tabs and the openings to go lower than waist seam to make sure the overalls can still be pulled over the hips easily.


I think, despite our myriad changes, the overalls are still true to the Roberts' pattern and are really cute! 


Check out my mom wearing them in Hanoi at this awesome coffee shop, Cong Caphe (which has some awesome tables with sewing machine bases!). If you go, try the frozen coconut coffee drink, ca phe cot dua... amazing. 


26 comments:

  1. These dungarees are fab and with polka dots too! How lovely for you to go on holiday with your mum. I plan to make these dungarees soon, I just need to find the right fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love this pattern- so versatile!!

      Delete
  2. Ha. In Bloglovin I could only see the middle of the image and the first couple of lines about not blogging for a bit.
    Open up the post to see an older lady with grey hair and thought "wow, she hasn't been gone that long!" 😄
    So lovely that you and your mum could sew together and share tips and techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- yep, I aged 30 years in 2 weeks ;-) It's so fun to sew with someone else- it's rare I get to!

      Delete
  3. They look so great - your mum looks so cool in them!
    I've just finished the Turia dungarees and love the style, so I think the Roberts Collections will have to be added to my 'to sew' list! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Turias are really cute, too! I love the versatility of the Roberts pattern... so many options!

      Delete
  4. How fab to sew together, that sounds lovely. Your mum looks great in these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good! Hello Meg's Fashion-Forward Mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is pretty fashion-forward in this outfit, isn't she? ;-)

      Delete
  6. I love these! Your mom has great style!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so good on your mom! I wore overalls to death in the late 90s and I love that they are back in style. I couldn't quite decide if I was too old to pull them off. I think this has helped me decide to add them to my sewing list! Great job with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could totally pull them off!!

      Delete
  8. Aww, she looks amazing and so happy! I have some very similar fabric that I was planning to use for the Roberts, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see yours, Katie!

      Delete
  9. These look fantastic!! They suit your Mom perfectly and I think you guys did a great job perfecting the fit! Next time can you guys come have your sew-cation at my house? It can be at the lake. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Ha ha, don't be surprised if my mom and I show up at your lake house, sewing machines in hand!!

      Delete
  10. Gosh your mom is so fab/adorable! I love these on her! And she looks so delighted with them too, which just adds to the overall feeling of JOY I'm getting from your photos! I want a crafty break with MY mom!! How fun is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Inder! We did have a ton of fun. More mom crafty time for all!!

      Delete