Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Style Arc Georgie Jeans

Since my sewing goals for the year include making pants and the Curvy Sewing Collective's Curvy Pants Month starts in a few days, I sewed up some pants!


(Can we address the elephant in the room first? Taking photos of pants is impossible! Please forgive my overexposed butt close-ups.)



Today's leg coverings are the Style Arc's Georgie stretch woven jeans pattern. Style Arc describes the pattern thusly: "Georgie has all the details of a traditional jean with the exception that its pulls on. This elastic waisted jean has the latest styling and shape along with comfort as it sits on the natural waist."


I wouldn't agree that Georgie has alllllll of the traditional jeans details... for example, beyond the elastic waist, it has faux front pockets, a faux fly, darts on the back bum and some non-traditional topstitching (e.g. double topstitching on the outer leg seam rather than inner).


But you could play around with the details to your liking. And I'm pretty sure, if you're wearing a shirt that covers the elastic waist, no one but a fellow sewist would take notice of the fact that they're not traditional jeans.


My fabric is stretch denim I bought locally. Stretchier than other denim I've used for, say, my Birkin Flares, but not quite stretchy to the level of jeggings fabric.


The Georgie jeans are basically the pant version of their Charlie skirt pattern, which I made in olive stretch twill last year. As I did with the Charlie skirt, I found the waistband instructions a bit confusing and did it my own way because I couldn't figure out how to not have the elastic caught up in the side seams using the method in the instructions (sounded uncomfortable to me!). As such I have a line of visible stitching on the front, but it's barely noticeable (and no one will see it anyway because I plan to keep the elastic waist covered at all times!).


I wish the yoke was a bit more angled; I feel like it runs straight across my upper butt in a potentially unflattering way. But the likelihood of the yoke getting a lot of time in the sun is low since my shirt will cover it 90% of the time. So I am ok with it.


I moved the back pockets ever so slightly from the pattern markings, mainly to compensate for the fact that the topstitching on the center back seam is set to one side. I made them equidistant from the topstitching, rather than the center back seam, so technically they're not even, but they appear even. Optical illusion!


I've had good luck with the fit on Style Arc pants patterns and Georgie is no exception. The fit is pretty good straight out of the envelope (or off the printer, as it were). I'm sure there are some things I could fix for my next pair if I were so inclined (knee wrinkles, for sure... maybe a full calf adjustment? something else? anyone have any diagnoses?), but I'm pretty happy with them as is.


And the comfort level is off the charts! The waist is high enough that they stay up and suck all my fluffy areas in. Yes! Winning.

21 comments:

  1. These look great on you Meg - love them with that Maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good. I know what you mean about the off-centre topstitching and the issue that gives with pockets. I might consider these. I believe their PDFs have multiple sizes. A single size wouldn't cut it for me! The legs are quite narrow, though, and I have big calves and thighs so I'll have to think about it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, their PDFs come in a set of 3 sizes, but they're not nested, which is a pain if you need to grade between sizes. I am thinking that perhaps I should have done a full calf adjustment, too!

      Delete
  4. These look great! I made these up in a black stretch denim....only to find it didn't have enough stretch and I couldn't get them over my calves! Luckily I have a much smaller friend I could gift them to.

    Regarding the elastic waist, I believe you do catch the elastic in the side seam. It all gets neatly covered in the end, and if you want a very comfortable front waist just don't stretch the elastic at all when applying. That leaves all the gathering for the back which is more comfortable IMO. I did take photos of the process with the intention of doing a blog post as I agree the instructions are unclear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I struggle with bottom weight fabrics and stretch percentage- it makes such a difference in fit!

      Yeah, I found the instructions a bit strange, but I just did my own way and it worked out!

      Delete
  5. I like the look of the pocket placement! Well done, they look comfy! Maybe is it my age or some added fluff, but I don't like regular jeans quite as much as I used to, maybe I'll try these as an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are definitely a great option for comfort- no tight waistband digging into your belly!

      Delete
  6. They look great on you. I think the wrinkles are nbd (there are fewer of them than I currently have on my WIP jeans) but you might benefit from a full inner thigh/knock knee adjustment, it's certainly helped me: http://stitchesandseams.blogspot.com/2008/01/full-inner-thigh-alterations.html?m=1. Not sure it's your issue but worth a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely have a look! I am struggling to read the tea leaves/wrinkles on thiIs. I feel like my knee wrinkles don't look like any of the wrinkles I am finding online or in my pants fitting books. Horizontal rather than angled. Hmmm.

      Delete
  7. Great thinking with the pocket placement re the top stitching. I always feel like my pockets look off center even when they are centered. I might give that a try next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me nervous that it would look weird since they're now not equidistant from the side seams, but no one is capable of looking at both sides of your body at the same time, whereas the eye goes automatically to the butt!

      Delete
  8. Meg these look fantastic!! I find with skinny jeans that as you wash and wear them, the fit (and minor wrinkles) seems to get better and better. So I really wouldn't worry about changing anything. They look super comfy and with your shirt covering the the waistband they look just like traditional jeans. I wouldn't have guessed they have an elastic waist. You are quickly becoming the Style Arc Queen! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Oh, good to know. Hopefully the wrinkles in this pair smooth out a bit. I'm definitely not going to unpick this pair!

      Ha, I am totally a Style Arc fangirl these days, huh?

      Delete
  9. These look great Meg - for all their design limitations I think they're super.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm quite happy with them!!

      Delete
  10. These look great and I would probably wear them a lot, except for the lack of pockets. I use front pockets all the time, in all my trousers. When I don't have them I miss them terribly. Would it be possible to put a nice deep front pocket like men's trousers have?

    Incidentally - looking forward to pants month a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know lack of pockets is a deal breaker for lots of people. Personally it doesn't bother me, but I don't have much room in the hip/thigh for stuff to fit in the pocket anyway, hahaha!

      We actually have a tutorial scheduled on the Curvy Sewing Collective during Curvy Pants Month for adding pockets to pants like these!

      Delete
  11. oh my god ... they seem so comfortable !

    ReplyDelete