Thursday, January 19, 2017

Testing, testing: Women's Waterfall Raglan

Gabriela of Chalk and Notch reached out to me to test her first foray into women's patterns, the Waterfall Raglan, and I was honored to join in the fun!

The Waterfall Raglan is a relaxed fit raglan t-shirt (or dress) with a curved, ruffled hem. It's an adult-sized version of Chalk and Notch's popular girls' pattern by the same name.


I'll be honest: I was a bit worried about the ruffle, because ruffles are not really my jam... but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked it! Well, I liked wearing it, but not really gathering it... ug, gathering! 

That's one of the things I like about pattern testing (well, besides copy editing, which nerdily pleases me): it forces me to try out styles I might not otherwise gravitate towards!


This is the earliest version of the Waterfall Raglan, so a few minor changes have been made to the pattern since testing to the sleeve for the final pattern.


My fabric is a sheer (hello, bra!) heathered cotton jersey; it's super soft and has great drape for the Waterfall Raglan. A little bit more transparent than I would like, but eh.


One detail I really liked about the pattern is the inclusion of two different neckbands depending on your fabric's stretch percentage, along with a chart in the pattern to help you determine the stretch percentage! So helpful and smart! It worked out perfectly for me.



I opted for the short sleeves, but after seeing all of the different versions in the tester group (check out testers here), I think the 3/4 length sleeve is my favorite. Something about the proportions of it are exactly right. 



I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like the Waterfall Raglan. It's incredibly comfortable and feels stylish. I am wearing it here with skinny jeans (the Baste + Gather Kendall skinnies, the skinnified version of the Birkin Flares), but I also wore it with cropped leggings and it looked pretty cute!

21 comments:

  1. Looks great on you. And gathering! Does my head in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ha, I agree, gathering is not my favorite...

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love this! It looks great on you and so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ruffle really makes it! I'm with you though with sewing them. Gathering evenly is an exercise in patience. I suspect with a daughter now, I'll get really adept at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I bet you will! Little girls love a good ruffle!

      Delete
  4. One day, let me tell you the hilarious story of me gathering silk for AN HOUR while being filmed.... ;D

    Looks good! I think it works because you used a really drapey jersey so it's not like RUFFLES IN YO FACE. Very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oy, sounds miserable!!

      Yes, this top definitely requires a drapey jersey, otherwise it would be too ruffle-y and tent-y, methinks!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much Meg! I here you on gathering the ruffles...I dread it too so I always do it first to get it over with. I appreciate you joining the test so early on and it was totally my pleasure. I hope we can do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- good idea to gather first, Gabriela!

      Thanks for having me as a tester! ;-)

      Delete
  6. LOVE this pattern on you! I was the same way with the ruffles at first...I ended up loving it as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! I love your version of the Waterfall Raglan, too- great fabric choice!

      Delete
  7. Looks so good with the jeans. Love them btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meg, you seem to look fabulous in anything! Love this shape and colour on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute!! I love that testing pushes you out of comfort zone too - it's a great way to try new things!

    ReplyDelete