Thursday, January 5, 2017

Paddleboat Studio Mitchell Dress


I basically stalked Hannah at Paddleboat Studio as she posted sneak peeks of the Mitchell pattern on Instagram, biding my time until I could jump on the opportunity to test it or buy it or do basically whatever necessary to get the pattern into my hot little hands as soon as possible!



In the end I was able to test the Mitchell pattern for Hannah. The version I am sharing with you today is not my tester version, though, because I used an old bedsheet as my muslin fabric for a test version of the jumpsuit and it turned out pretty crazy looking, as you can imagine.


The Mitchell pattern includes a jumpsuit and a dress with cut-on sleeves, a v-neck with wide facings, and a wrap-style waist feature. Here's the description from Paddleboat Patterns

"The Mitchell Dress and Jumpsuit bring easy wrap style to any sewist's wardrobe. Both the dress and jumpsuit utilize innovative design and simple shapes to create a silhouette that is flattering on any body type while remaining easy and fun to sew. The jumpsuit version of the Mitchell requires an invisible zipper, instructions for installing this type of zipper are included."


While testing, we determined that the sleeves in my size were a bit snug for me, causing the bodice to also feel snug because it is all one piece. Snug sleeves are not unusual for me; I often have to do full bicep adjustments. So for this version, I ended up going up a size, which worked out better. I think because the bodice and sleeves are all one piece, it was affecting the bust fit, too.


I think I need darts or something in the back, as it's quite bunchy there when I wrap the ties around. My Kielo wrap dress (which is a similar style to the Mitchell, in some ways) has fisheye darts in the back to help with that excess fabric. I may copy those darts onto this Mitchell...


I was thinking of using a floral rayon challis for my Mitchell dress, but then I remembered that the wrong side of the fabric shows at the edges of the skirt wrap, so I changed things up to a super soft chambray fabric that I bought at an awesome Japanese denim store here in Bangkok.


The edges of my skirt got stretched out when hemming, so they're a bit wavy. I wonder how much of a difference it would make if I sewed the skirt wraps together, rather than hemming separately?


I'm still not decided on how I feel about this Mitchell dress. While I love the concept - the wrap around/tie waist, cut-on sleeves and v-neck are obviously features I gravitate towards (see Kielo, Adeline, Sointu, and so on)- there is something a bit eeeeeeehhhhhhhhh about this dress that I can't put my finger on.


I dunno. What say you, sewing friends? Fabric choice? Fit?

Have you made a Mitchell dress or jumpsuit? Thoughts?


21 comments:

  1. On my phone the fabric looks like knit! Will have to have another look at it on my computer 😊 I like the colour on you. I hope you will find the way to make it feel right for you. It looks good to me, but I know how important it is to feel good wearing something. Also I would love to see that jumpsuit 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks nice standing still but I'm wondering how it looks sitting down, etc. I would keep fussing with the wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How on earth do you keep coming up with patterns that I haven't heard of?
    I think this look nice, but not show-stopping? I wonder how much of that is because I'm used to seeing you in vibrant prints and bold colours. Maybe denim just feels a bit tame for you? I feel like it could be a wardrobe creeper though, and suddenly end up as a favourite. You never know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the dress a lot on you! I think it suits you really well. I wonder if the ties were just a bit wider (like twice the width), it would make the balance a bit better for you? The wrap dresses I've seen you rock here have just a bit wider ties and I wonder if that is what is not making you feel as happy about it? Like the balance is off from what you usually gravitate toward. I think it looks fabulous on you, though, but when it comes down to it how you feel is pretty darn important. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wraps that tie center front are tough to pull off sometimes. Is there enough skirt/tie length to criss cross in the front and tie it in the back? I think having that diagonal line may make a difference in the way the dress falls. It's definitely a fun pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all the comments above! I would just add that I thought the wavy edges on the wrap were deliberate, and aa rather nice feature!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ps. Sorry about the typo....always proof read BEFORE you press publish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a rtw dress that wraps like this in the skirt and the underskirt portion is narrower - I think that helps reduce some of the extra bulk throughout (of course that was is too tight on bottom and too loose on top so it has issues of its own)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this Meg - I like it on you, but can also see why you're not in love with it. I've been looking at this pattern - it's fab to be able to read/see pics of new patterns before purchasing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I actually like this dress on you, the fabric looks great as it has a nice drape and I also thought the ruffle in the front were a design detail which I find cool and make the dress interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first I thought the "eh" might be because the wrap flaps are not curved around the bottom as they are on Kielo and Jenny. Then I thought it might be the width of the waist tie or the bunching at the waist.

    But then I looked at the sample garment for the pattern and I'm wondering if it is the fabric choice. Maybe something with more body would better emphasize the A-line skirt shape?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a couple of thoughts. First, I thought the ruffles were intentional and I liked them! I wondered why the cuffs of the sleeves didn't have some kind of tulip or ruffle element. Oh, well. I also see some blousing above the ties when together that gives me a really frumpy/sloppy feel when compared to the nice flat neckline and the simple hem. If it was fitted, or flat I think the whole dress would look tidier <---is that a word? Finally, the pic with your arms extended shows so much fabric down the main body. Maybe the bulk of all of that on top of such wide panels just makes you feel bulky? I might make those side wraps more narrow, depending on my fabric. Anyway, it's interesting enough that I want to go look it up now. ��

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it a lot but I always feel that a faced v neck combined with solid blue or green and cut on sleeves can veer too close to scrubs or a hospital gown! I think a rayon print would look lovely and drapey.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the 'meh' feeling comes from the situation with the solid blue - you can see more of the bunching around the waist area, but yet there isn't a clearly defined waist... wider belt pieces could help with that and/or i think in a pattern it would look a lot different. I often dislike how belted dresses look on me because i feel like the belt / tie fabric is too thin and just bunches up and doesnt look good or accent my waist. I also think that if the dress were shorter, above the knee, and worn with tights and boots it would take on a new look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I kinda like this Meg! I especially love that the front hem went wavy. I think that you're right about the darts in the back, it would look a little neater. I think that this would be nice in a pretty print too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh -- I think it is beautiful. But I can agree that the wrap concept while novel takes on a life of its own -- I Nehalem pants can attest to that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dress looks absolutely stunning on you. LOVE the colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this dress looks great - but I'm with you, it's not amazing. The fabric is gorgeous, but there's something about the bodice and sleeves that aren't doing it for me. I agree, your other similar makes are better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the dress ... I just think that maybe you haven't found the right mood for it yet

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Kielo somehow creates an illusion that slims the tum. Perhaps it's the diagonal lines of the Keilo, which seem to length the "look". The Mitchell has a horizontal line that doesn't do that, despite the very attractive wavy vertical line. There's a lot of fabric above the tie (because you went up to a bigger size?) & a lot of bulk below it (4 layers of fabric). That's "meh" I think. Maybe in a jersey it wouldn't matter? Also I noticed that your last pic has the tie a bit more "relaxed" so it's not so strictly horizontal - there's a slight diagonal - and that looks better.

    ReplyDelete