Thursday, March 30, 2017

Sewcation Outfit 1: Toaster Sweater and Margaret Pant


I just sent my mom off to the airport after a lovely three weeks. She came to town to hang out and we divided our time between traveling (Mandalay and Bagan, Myanmar plus a few days at the beach in southern Thailand), sightseeing, eating and, of course, sewing.


Sewing-wise, my mom came with several planned projects, some already cut out. But she also added several to the list once she got here and had the chance to peruse my prodigious fabric and pattern stash, too.

At the end of this sewcation she had three new pairs of pants, two summer-y tops, a sweater/sweatshirt, a blazer, and a few partially completed projects (a summer robe and seven of twenty batik Dresden plate quilt circle thingies, help me out here quilting folks). Basically a whole wardrobe to take her back to March in Massachusetts (still quite chilly) and then help her transition into spring and summer!


The first of those sewcation outfits, the most wintery of the bunch, was a group effort...

Since she liked mine, I whipped up a super quick Sew House Seven Toaster Sweater #1 for her. The fabric we purchased locally here in Bangkok. It's a thick cotton sweater-like knit that is a bit curly on the edges, but soft and quite substantial.


We went with a size medium at the bust graded to large at the hip for her, which worked pretty well. We shortened the sleeves about two inches, I believe.


The pants are the Style Arc Margaret in a size 14 with the legs shortened two inches (my height does not come from her side of the family). She brought this stretchy black sateenish fabric with her and I had some bengaline for her just like mine, so we assembly lined sewed two pairs in record time. She manned the sewing machine and I serged, pressed and pinned.


Hopefully these two pieces will be wardrobe workhorses for her! Some of the other things we made during the sewcation are less practical, but still lovely. These items fit firmly into Camp Cake rather than Camp Frosting, though. She's even packed the sweater in her carry-on so she can change into it when she arrives in Massachusetts, which is scheduled to have snow the day she returns!

The look on her face in the photo below indicates that she now understands how hard it is to take photos in winter clothes on my hot Bangkok balcony:


21 comments:

  1. Your mom looks great in those perfectly fitted pieces. How fun to sew together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It was really fun! And productive, too, most of the time.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Toaster and impressive sewcation! And... as a quilter, I'd love to see your mom's Dresden plate thingies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody! I didn't snap a photo of her quilt before she left because it was just a pile of partial pieced blocks, but I'll ask her to share once she's made more progress!

      Delete
  3. How wonderful - such fun time with your Mom, and all those garments! plus travel. I think it's really neat that you and your Mom collaborate in the sewing room, so special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun! I am hoping we'll get to do it again before too long!

      Delete
  4. Love a sewcation! Great pieces and that first photo of her is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It was really fun- can't wait to have another sewcation!

      Delete
  5. A sewcation with your mom sounds so fun! I love both pieces. She looks great and the fit...⭐⭐⭐.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the perfect holiday, and it's so great that you and your mum can sew together. Lovely outfit too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! It was really fun- I'm looking forward to sewing with her again soon!

      Delete
  7. How sweet! What a lovely way to spend your time together....these are moments to treasure ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the pictures of your mom. She looks like a fun person and she is not a size 4. When one reaches a certain age patterns no longer fit the way the used to, if you catch my drift. Thanks for sharing and the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is fun! I agree, after sewing with her, I've seen that she has her own fit challenges, just like I do!

      Delete
  9. Meg, this Toaster Sweater on your mom is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abbey! It turned out really cute!

      Delete
  10. Your mom looks like a sweetie. I used to sew while Mom quilted when I visited her. We enjoyed the same interests. Oh, how I miss her. Good you had a nice time together. (ps. She's a great model.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You two must have had such a great time together!! A sewcation sounds like a perfect way to end a trip! You guys were so productive too. Love both of these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That top looks Great! I would like to come up with something like that except length at least mid thigh, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete