Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sample Sewing: Grainline Linden

I think I might be the last person on earth to sew up the much-loved Grainline Studio Linden sweatshirt!



Lucky for me, I've made it just in time for the Linden Love Week hosted by Grainline Studio and Sew News (who is also hosting a Linden sewalong right now!).


This is a sample for a class I'm teaching in September at Nido. The Linden seems like a great pattern for a beginner/learn to sew knits class... a bit of practice with neck, hem and sleeve bands, but otherwise pretty much straight lines!

PS: check out my mini profile on the Nido blog!


The fabric I used is a Robert Kaufman french terry that Nido carries. It's a medium- to heavy-weight athletic grey with lovely primary colored speckles throughout. The fabric is perfect for a traditional sweatshirt. 


The only issue I ran into with the fabric is that there wasn't enough stretch in the neckband to use the pattern piece as is. Luckily, after a bit of fiddling around, I determined that a band about 90% of the neckline length worked well for this low-stretch fabric!


Speaking of necklines... for me, this neckline is a hair's breadth from being too wide. I might narrow it ever so slightly if I make it again! It doesn't look super wide in these photos, but when wearing it, I have that feeling like it might slip off one shoulder, Flashdance-style. I'm not worried about it, though, as I know I'm likely to wear it with a giant scarf most times, as I am wont to do once the weather gets chilly. I cannot tolerate a cold neck for some reason, and living in Southeast Asia has made me soft in the face of a cool breeze!

It seems like lots of Grainline patterns either have a really wide neckline or a really high neckline, nary a neckline in between. I think that just reflect's the designer's personal style.


As you can see, the sleeves are a bit long, too. That's pretty typical for me with Grainline patterns, though, and an easy fix.


For my Linden, I went with a size 16, graded to 18 at the hip. I don't really like bottom bands on shirts, finding them too clingy on the belly and hip area, which is why I graded up. Seemed to work pretty well for me!


How about you? Have you sewed a Linden? Do you have a favorite raglan tee or sweatshirt?

7 comments:

  1. Your Linden looks so cozy, Meg! I think the stretch percentage of the fabric might make a difference with the width of the neckline. I've made a bunch of them from fabric that has some spandex content and the neck has come out higher on all of them. The Linden is definitely my go-to sweatshirt pattern but I like the Lane raglan, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, Teri! The stretch on this french terry is definitely quite low! This top was also hanging on a hanger at the shop for a week before I took these photos, which might have stretched out the neckline a bit, too!

      Delete
  2. Love the Linden. I have made it three times, once with long sleeves in a hideous striped GC FT as a test, and then twice in woven with short sleeves. The neckline was perfect for the woven versions but I agree it was a bit wide in a knit. But then I like wide necklines, so I was okay with it. I have the Farrow pattern but haven't sewn it yet because I don't know what to do with either the high neckline or the high-low hem. Both super unflattering I think, for plus sizes.
    Your shirt is cute...reminds me I should whip up a couple for the coming cold weather. It's hard to plan ahead when it's 108, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! Good to know the Linden can be made in a woven- that sounds pretty awesome!

      Delete
  3. Great looking sweatshirt and I've not sewn one up for even purchased the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! Ha, ok, maybe I'm not the last person on earth to sew it ;-)

      Delete
  4. I have not purchased it either, though I love raglan sleeves. I have the Jalie raglan top, which I like, but have been eyeing the Bethioua Raglan by Elle (it's on Indiesew) as it has shoulder darts, which I think gives the raglan sleeve a nice fit. Best of luck for your class!

    ReplyDelete