Thursday, August 10, 2017

Simplicity 8378 Knit Joggers

Sometimes you imagine a sewing project resulting in a sleek, wearable, basic jogger, but then you end up with sweatpants.


These pants are Simplicity 8378, from Simplicity's new "Pattern Hacking" line. Curious about what exactly they meant by that and looking for something to write about for the Curvy Sewing Collective's Pattern Hacking Month, I bought the pattern on sale and got to making. 


I used a charcoal grey ponte from Joann and cut a size XL in the slim leg pant, with elastic added to the cuff. I shortened the pants by 1.5" because they were quite long, but could have taken even more length off. I feel the pants are a little bit big; I was between sizes and perhaps should have sized down rather than up.


All in all, the pants are fine. No major fit issues besides being slightly oversized and long. But the end result reads sweatpants to me. I'm going to give this pair of pants an emphatic "meh." But they are comfy, so I'm sure I'll still wear them a ton- I'll already worn them 3 or 4 times since making them!


I've also got a full review of the pattern over on the Curvy Sewing Collective today if you're interested in more details and my feelings about whether or not this pattern really constitutes pattern hacking.