Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Grainline Willow Tank x 2

Two Grainline Willow tanks for your viewing pleasure... a wearable muslin and a more refined linen/cotton version.



Note: Imagine Gnats provided me the Willow pattern and the linen/cotton fabric for free, but all of my opinions are my own.


The fabric for this wearable muslin is a golden/mustard dobby cotton that I bought at my 3 meters for 100 baht store (check out my Bangkok fabric shopping guide for more on this place if you're planning a Bangkok trip anytime soon!). I love the color mustard in the abstract, but I'm not sure it's the best color for me in practice. But I'll probably pair this one with a cardigan or blazer in a color that does look good on me and that will mitigate it a bit.


The other version, which I blogged about on Imagine Gnats, uses a lovely lightweight linen/cotton blend, a great weight for the Willow. 


I sewed both tanks using French seams since my serger is still en route from Bangkok. This is a great pattern with which to practice French seaming since there are so few seams.


I've been curious about the Willow pattern for a while now. How does it compare to other tanks I've made, like the Cashmerette Springfield, Wiksten Tank, and Grainline's own Tiny Pocket Tank?


I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I like this tank! The bust fits me much better than the Wiksten or Grainline Tiny Pocket Tank does... I have weird upper bust pulling issues with the Tiny Pocket Tank and the Wiksten doesn't have bust darts, so its fit is inherently not as good. Without alteration, the bust darts hit me closer to my apex than the darts on the Springfield Top. 


However, although I like the fit above the bust darts, I am still trying to figure out what is happening below the bust darts to create that weird drape. Thoughts? It's less apparent in the linen version than in the wearable muslin.


Style-wise, the Willow has a nice boxy, slightly cropped, almost vintage look. Certainly in this mustard fabric it's got a late '60s vibe to it that I like. The deep, 2 inch hem is fabulous.

Like t-shirts, I feel like there is room for many tank top/shell patterns in the sewing world. They're each a bit different and fill a different niche.


Have you made the Willow tank? What's your favorite woven tank pattern?