Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Wiksten Tanks

I am waaaaaaaay late to the Wiksten tank party. But after seeing so many Wiksten tanks pop up in the #mmmay15 feed and realizing I am in need of basic wardrobe staples like tanks and t-shirts, I thought I'd give it a try.


I love the fit... the high, full-coverage back, deep neckline, the curved hem. 



Even though it's dartless and I have complained about how dartless tops don't work for me, somehow I feel like this one does. Maybe I am crazy. I have the Grainline Tiny Pocket Tank pattern, but the darts were never quite right for me and I haven't put in the time to fix them.

My first Wiksten for myself was in Anna Maria Horner voile and my second in a stripey black gauze material. For both I skipped the self-fabric bias tape and used packaged bias tape.


After I finished mine, I thought my sister might like one from some quilting weight cotton she picked out in Bangkok... gorgeous fabric:


Looks pretty good on her, too!


Have you made the Wiksten tank? 

11 comments:

  1. These look great. I tried the tiny pocket tank last year & despite multiple attempts did not get a great fit... So perhaps wiksten next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle! Same for me. Maybe Wiksten will work for you, too! Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Yours look so good! Seeing them during Me Made May inspired me to pull out this pattern again. I made one ages ago and it never really fit right. I don't think back then I knew about grading out at the hips or maybe I was in denial about my hips. I decided to make a muslin and try it again. I think I made 4 muslins (what?!? it's a simple dartless tank!) and then I ran out of steam to make the actual shirt. One of these days I will get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! Ha- yeah, some of my earlier makes have similar problems. 4 muslins? That would be exhausting! But now that you've taken a break from it you should try again.

      Delete
  3. Cute! I've been thinking about giving the Ella Top by Liola Patterns a try. The neckline is similar to the Wiksten, but I love that the back has a yoke and a pleat! https://indiesew.com/products/liola-patterns-ella-top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ella top is really cute- I like the yoke and racerback!

      Delete
  4. As always, such pretty fabric choices! I tend to avoid tanks as my white white arms always seem to either get super burned or get mercilessly attacked by mosquitoes! I've been choosing cap sleeves of late to get me through the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute!!! I have Megan Nielsen's Eucalypt tank, and have been meaning to make a couple this summer. That one is dartless, but I did a FBA and added a dart, so it is no longer dartless! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, the tank looks great. I have been contemplating getting this pattern but wasn't too sure if I could use quilting cotton for it, your sisters one looks great in QC, would you recommend using QC or similar fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss K- I think QC is ok for this, but some other type of cotton (lawn, voile, chambray) would be better- less stiff!

      Delete
    2. Hi Miss K- I think QC is ok for this, but some other type of cotton (lawn, voile, chambray) would be better- less stiff!

      Delete