Thursday, July 2, 2015

Phakhaoma Buttonfront Maya

Several months ago I bought a stack of traditional Thai handwoven plaid fabric at Chatuchak market from Nuala-Or. The fabric, a lightweight, loosely woven cotton fabric called "phakhaoma," came pre-cut in this narrow (32"), double-border piece. You can read more about traditional uses for phakhaoma here and check out some Thai artisans trying to revive the fabric with modern options.




When I got home I realized the fabric was going to be hard to use for a garment because of the size and borders. But then I had an epiphany: Maya!


Maya's simple lines would be perfect for this: limited plaid matching because of the kimono-sleeves (yes!), a chance to show off the border section... perfect. Plus I have worn my other Maya tops weekly since I made them, so I knew the pattern was a winner for me.


Lincoln quality checked my plaid matching:


I'd been meaning to make the button front version of Maya. I pored over my sizeable button stash and came up with the perfect buttons to go with this particular piece of phakhaoma, these little vintage-looking seafoam guys with thin charcoal lines.  The buttons also happened to be from Chatuchak market... seen front and center here in my Chatuchak button haul Instagram photo:


I adore how this Maya came out! The fabric and button combo is great, and I love how the border kinda made the top a bit colorblocked-looking, even though it's all the same length of fabric.


28 comments:

  1. After your last Maya I told myself it was time to get the pattern and now I know I have to have it. This fabric is so perfect for this top. I know I would wear something like this all the time. Too bad I don't have access to such amazing fabric! Maybe some AMH Loominous would be close enough. I've been looking for an excuse to buy some of it. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! I do find myself wearing my Mayas all the time. I am back in the States for a few weeks and realized yesterday that I had packed 3 of them ;-) AMH Loominous would be lovely!

      Delete
  2. I love this!!!! The Maya top is so simple, I've been holding off but you're totally selling this pattern Meg! I want want want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, after making and raving about it three times, you would think I was being paid to extol the virtues of Maya... I am not, it's just a lovely basic pattern.

      Delete
  3. Your plaid version is super awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! What a cool, unusual border print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I agree- the border print is pretty cool.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I am in awe of your button stash! I know what I need to get if I ever get up to Chatuchak market again! Love your Maya, and especially how you're using local traditional fabrics. I'm plotting my next Maya too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- if you are ever in Bangkok, I can point you in the direction of the fabric and the buttons! Or join you at Chatuchak!

      Delete
  6. Stunning! Perfect fabric/pattern combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use for the fabric. I'll have to go looking for buttons if I ever get to go back to BKK and JJ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! If you find yourself at JJ, I am happy to direct you to the button lady! Dirt cheap and lots of cute vintage-y looking buttons.

      Delete
  8. This is lovely. My daughter brought me some guatemalan ikat fabrics to play with - they are currently aging in stash, waiting for the right project. I love how you put the darker border at the bottom - weighting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, Guatemalan ikat sounds amazing!

      Delete
  9. That fabric is beautiful and you showcased it perfectly with Maya! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool fabric! Definitely works for this pattern. I'm sure it would be a challenge to make a dress....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle! Yeah, the piece is narrow and short, so for me, it would be hard to fit a dress, or even sleeves, for that matter!

      Delete
  11. This is so lovely, Meg! It turned out perfect and that fabric is divine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! I'm really starting to want Maya because of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, somehow I have become a complete Maya fangirl!

      Delete