Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Watercolor Floral Beatrix

Oooooh, I am in love with this top I just made with the new Made by Rae Beatrix pattern!



I jumped on this new pattern right away, both because I love the simple style and fit of several of Rae's other patterns (see: Josephine and Washi) and because I adore blouses with super simple lines that allow the fabric to shine (see: Maya, etc.). Rae's patterns seem to work for my mom and sister, too, so I figure they're a good investment.


 I meant to sew this as part of the #Beatrixalong, but got ahead of the sewalong and just finished it in just one day. It's a very quick sew.


I kept it simple for my first version of the Beatrix and went with a straightforward View A with 3/4 sleeves. This version has a curved hem and the button placket is folded over from the main bodice piece. I followed the pattern directions religiously. The instructions are great: lots of good tips and diagrams. I also like how the button placket overlaps with the hem and the neckline facing to make a clean finish.


My fabric is a watercolor floral cotton voile (I think) from one of my favorite fabric stores here in Bangkok, Hieng Yoo Huat. The voile is really lovely- it has almost a silky feel to it. The colors and print are really great, too. Green is my jam. I bought more of this fabric in another colorway (magenta/mauve flowers on a grey background) since I loved it so much.


The buttons are some shiny 3/4" kelly green shell buttons my mom got me several years ago, at Joann or Michaels, I think. I have them in 3 or 4 sizes, but this medium size seemed to make the most sense with the width of the button placket and the wide spacing:


I do think next time I make Beatrix I might put more buttons (maybe double the amount?) down the back to deal with the little bit of gaping I am seeing. I might even just sew the buttons straight through the placket, too, as I can pull the top over my head without unbuttoning it. 


I am pretty chuffed with my Beatrix, though! I have a feeling this particular Beatrix will find its way into my regular rotation, and I think I will certainly make more Beatrixes (Beatri?) in the future! How about you- does Beatrix strike your fancy?

26 comments:

  1. It is such a lovely top. Simple is best, hey? This fabric matches the pattern well, and I love those cute little buttons ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenya! I am definitely finding myself drawn to simpler silhouettes these days...

      Delete
  2. Oooh, it's really cute! And a lovely fit right off the bat. I admit though, I"m distracted by your fabulous shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gillian! Ha- my shoes are Miz Mooz from several years ago... I love them, but they are not the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn, honestly.

      Delete
  3. LOVE this top! The neckline looks great on you, and I loved the curved hemline and button-back. I've always liked Tilly's Mathilde because of the button back, but never cared for how voluminous the sleeves are. Now I really want this pattern instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I agree, I found the sleeves on the Mathilde to be a bit poofy for me, so I never bought the pattern. This one is great, though... nice little details and a good blank canvas for pretty fabrics.

      Delete
  4. That looks really great on you! I love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that's very nice. Did you make any alterations? FBA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I forgot to say in my post: The only alteration I made is that I graded up one size at the hip, but that's pretty typical for me since I'm pear shaped. No FBA, but I'm not very busty, so I don't normally have to do them.

      Delete
    2. Oh, also, this pattern come with two separate bust sizes: A/B and C/D. I made the A/B.

      Delete
  6. This looks so nice on you! The fabric is really pretty and I love the green buttons. Also, I get serious hair envy every time I see your photos. Your sleek bob is so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! Getting this haircut is touch and go here in Bangkok, depending on which hairdresser I get and how successful I am at communicating what I want... sometimes it's sleek bob, sometimes mushroom head ;-)

      Delete
  7. Looks great! I agree, more buttons next time. Fabric is really great. Can't wait to see what you make with the other color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle!! I am already plotting what I'll make in the other color... I've got a bit more of it, so perhaps a dress...

      Delete
  8. Very pretty. I love the curved hemline on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do these "simple shapes" so so so well! I love this! The fit is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inder! I lucked out with fit, for sure- I knew Rae's Josephine pattern fit well and I just crossed my fingers and hope the fit would be similar for this one!

      Delete
  10. lovely fabric for a lovely shirt - so pretty ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! This is a a stunning make! Such a good wardrobe staple to have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! Great fabric choice and the style really suits you. I wasn't that taken with the Beatrix but having seen yours I think I will give it a try. I have sway back so a centre back seam (or button placket) is always helpful.

    Have you seen Emmie's button gape solution? http://vintageinkfairy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/tips-n-tricks-dreaded-waist-gape_7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! I feel like this shirt is most definitely "me"!

      That button gape trick is genius!!

      Delete
  13. I love it! The fabric is gorgeous - and the colour is great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this top but as I am disabled I won't be able to reach to do up the buttons.Then,I read you can just pull it over your head with the buttons already done up.this means I can go ahead and buy the pattern.Thank you for that ,so important,detail.

    ReplyDelete