Friday, July 17, 2015

International Anna Party: Stained Glass Anna



A few years ago I made a "wearable" muslin of By Hand London's Anna dress. I used quotation marks because I only wore it a couple of times before giving it away because my construction and fabric choice were so poor. 


Those were the times before I understood the importance of a) pattern matching, b) understitching, c) sewing functional zippers and d) patience, and whatnot.


But damn if the fit on that bodice wasn't sublime! Why have I not pulled out that already-traced pattern and given it another go until now? No idea. 


But the International Anna Party, organized by Elle of @Lauralovespugs, Ute of @ute_ig and Pips of @magdalenesmuse, gave me an excuse to do just that: make a truly wearable Anna and then rock it for a virtual party. Thanks, ladies!



This time, I opted for Anna's higher neckline. I paired the Anna bodice with a simple gathered skirt, twice the width of my fabric. 


I also moved the zipper from center back to the left side seam, under the arm. I find the side zip easier to get in and out of, I feel like my arm hides any invisible zipper insertion flaws, and I like how the back bodice looks with nothing bisecting it. Win-win-win.


My fabric is a cotton lawn that I got on Bangkok's Sampeng Lane. I forget which store, but they had several colorways, including the purplish jobby I've used here and a summery blues and greens version that my mom took home. I think she's boldly planning a jumpsuit for her fabric using Simplicity 1355. (Mom, now that I told the internet you are making a jumpsuit, it's official, you're committed and must report back. #Sewingdare). I think the fabric looks a bit art deco-y or like stained glass. It's lightweight, breezy and the perfect weight for Anna:


I didn't bother with too much pattern matching on this Anna. By moving the zip to the side, I didn't have to pay attention to the center back seam and the gathered skirt eliminates the need to match across the waist seam. Yay!


I forgot how speedy Anna is to make- with no sleeves to set in, she goes together so quickly! I see no reason why I shouldn't make an Anna every week starting now. 


Sigh, I am in love and already planning my next Anna... I'm sure I will be even more inspired after seeing all of the Anna dresses sure to pop up for the International Anna Party. Thanks again to the lovely organizers!!

22 comments:

  1. Oh, I LOVE these colors on you! The fit looks spot on, too!

    I made a muslin a few years ago bit didn't understand fitting at the time and had a lot of problems with the bodice. Seeing how pretty this look on you makes me want to retrace and make those adjustments now that I know what I need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! You should give Anna another try! That's exactly what I did and I am so happy about it...

      Delete
  2. Very good looking! The fabric seems like a great match for the pattern. And I like that you moved the zipper - more functional & easier to sew?!? What's better than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle! Yeah, I definitely find side zips easier to open and close than back zips, which require some serious contortion to get all the way up!

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous fabric and the dress fits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! I'm so happy I bought extra of this fabric... I think I have enough left for another dress, too.

      Delete
  4. Lovely version of the Anna! It is one of my favorite patterns for its versatility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I agree- now that I remember how well the Anna bodice fits me, I am imagining it attached to all different types of skirts... pencil, circle, etc.

      Delete
  5. This is so pretty on you! I didn't have time to try tis pattern for the International Anna party, but I really want to get to it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! I think Anna would look lovely on you, when you can fit her into your sewing schedule!

      Delete
  6. Lovely, great fabric and fit! I'm definitely inspired to make another Anna after seeing all the lovely ones in the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie!! I am super inspired to make more Anna dresses, too. So many amazing dresses flaunted on the internet this weekend!

      Delete
  7. Lovely! When you moved the zipper, what sort of adjust did you need to make for the back? Add/remove fabric? Or just cut the back on the fold instead of two pieces? Also any side zip tutorials you can recommend? I installed one yesterday just by winging it, but I'd like to have a more polished one for the Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! I folded in the 5/8" seam allowance on the center back and then put that folded edge on the fold of the fabric. Hmmm- for the side zip, I just sorted eyeballed it, sewing the zip in a couple inches down from the armpit and then finishing the seam above and below the zip as usual. I didn't really follow a tutorial- I just did the same thing I would have done on the back, pretty much!

      Delete
  8. great fabric, looks good with the narrow silver belt. I really should look at doing side zippers sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really prefer side zips, both for functional and aesthetic reasons.

      Delete
  9. Great fabric choice and your gathered skirt is perfect! It's like this pattern was drafted just for you - it fits so well! I like that you did a side seam zip too - I might try that. I am looking forward to seeing more Annas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! Yes to side zips whenever possible, I say. ;-)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful fabric! and I love your shoes too. You are very well dressed for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely got the fabric and matching spot on this time. Great dress.

    ReplyDelete