Sunday, July 26, 2015

Batik Oakridge Blouse


For Mother's Day, way back in May, I made a Sewaholic Oakridge bow blouse for my mom, but only recently got some photos of her wearing it.


She admired the one I made for myself during Selfish Sewing Week so much so that she even commented on the blog post I wrote about it on Imagine Gnats. Martha is not a big blog commenter, so I knew that she must have been feeling particularly amorous about the Oakridge...


The only change I made to the pattern was to make 3/4 length sleeves by cutting at the "lengthen or shorten here" line and sewing them with a narrow hem.

For fabric, I used a turquoise rayon batik that Martha herself had given me, so I knew she would like it. It has flowers in purples, blues and greens running diagonally across the fabric. I didn't worry too much about pattern matching- I had a feeling I would never get it quite right and I was pretty sure it wouldn't matter anyway. After testing out several button options, I ended up making fabric-covered buttons with a kit I bought at Daiso. They're a little hard to button- they get stuck in the buttonholes- but you don't really need to unbutton the blouse anyway, as Oakridge has enough ease that you can slip it over your head.


I had a little bit of trouble with the curved hem. I should really just finish all my curved hems with bias tape to get them smooth...


I think the blouse is looking pretty good on her! Next time I might size down for her. The shoulders are a bit wide and the bodice a bit long. But serviceable!

16 comments:

  1. It's very nice :) and the fabric is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gift! It looks great on your mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Mom! The fabric is lovely...I'm not familiar with rayon batik, but it looks softer and more flowy than cotton batiks--is that accurate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, it's similar to rayon challis, but not quite as soft/silky. But still with a nice drape. I think she picked it up at this great discount fabric shop near where I'm from in Massachusetts- she calls it the $1.99 store. I've seen the rayon batiks on fabric.com sometimes and Nancy's Notions has a ton of them: http://www.nancysnotions.com/category/fabric/rayon+batik+fabrics.do

      Delete
  4. I think it looks great on your Mom! Such a pretty colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! She does rock the turquoise quite well, methinks.

      Delete
  5. Your mom is a great model! The shirt looks really nice on her. That is a wonderful Mother's Day gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! Ha ha, I did have to prompt her a bit to smile and not stand to stiffly. I mean, not that I am an expert at not standing stiffly. I have exactly 3 poses in my repertoire.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous fabric! I love batiks but am often stumped as to what to do with them. Your mother looks quite pleased and it fits her so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My mom and I both love batik. She fell in love with the batik quilting cottons in the U.S. and I with traditional Indonesian batiks when I lived in Jakarta for a couple of years. I learned in Jakarta that you can make pretty much anything from batik and look amazing...

      Delete
  7. Batiks are one of my fabric to work with....this blouse is so pretty. What a lucky mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great!!! A really good shape and color on her! Your mom has good taste, just like you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- pretty sure I got it from her ;-)

      Delete