Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Union St. Tee x 3


Basics, basics, basics. That's what Me-Made-May showed me is missing in my wardrobe. V-neck and crew-neck t-shirts are certainly basics. And I certainly need more of them... after 3 and a half years of living in Southeast Asia, where it's constantly summer and I don't have a dryer, all my t-shirts are pretty grubby and stretched out.



This is the Union St. Tee from Hey June. I bought it a few months ago when it was updated with more options for long sleeves and different necklines. I'd seen a lot of nice versions of it online and had had a good experience with the Hey June's Monkey Bar Skirt and Greenpoint Cardigan patterns for my nieces (see my other Hey June makes here and here).


This Union St. Tee is great! I started out with the v-neck version, opting to size up for a slightly more casual, slouchy look with a little bit of positive ease. But then after the green v-neck version turned out so well, I immediately cut out the "scoop neck" version (although, at least on me, it's more crew neck than scoop neck, I think), too! The shape is great, the sleeves aren't too short. I adore the v-neck; it's the perfect depth. So.... I made a third one. Yep, made three t-shirts in 24 hours:


I feel a little bit bad betraying my beloved Plantain t-shirt pattern, but I feel like the Union St. Tee has a different fit and thus serves a different purpose. 


Plantain is snug in the bust with a sharp flare at the hips, whereas Union St. is a bit straighter (but still with nice waist definition). Plantain has the deep scoop neckline, whereas Union St. has a deep v-neck or a crew neck... P.S.: check out that stripe placement on my v-neck below. Winning!


I thought the Union St. pattern instructions were pretty good: I'd never made a knit v-neck before, so that was a learning experience and my necklines are not perfect, but totally wearable. That bit at the point is tough. Next time I'll ace it, right?  


I think if I do the scoop neck again, I'd use the option for a thinner neckband, as mine isn't quite sitting flush in the front. I veered away from the instructions by hemming the bodice and sleeves last, after sewing up the sides just because that's my preference.


I love seeing how different fabrics change the look of a pattern. The fabric for my first v-neck is thick-ish cotton jersey from my local knit-by-the-kilo place here in Bangkok. The color is a pretty amazing emerald green. For my scoop neck I used some Art Gallery knitBikeleidoscope Jet. Damn, that stuff is soft! My third is this super slinky, kinda sheer striped cotton blend jersey from Girl Charlee that feels less like cotton and more like rayon or something... the stripes are knit into the fabric, but look like they are hand painted on because they are uneven. A pain in the ass to cut, but actually not bad to sew.


I foresee more of these Union St. Tees in my future... and maybe some Lane Raglans and Aurora Tees, too! Have you tried the Union St. Tee? Had good luck with Hey June patterns?


23 comments:

  1. Great job on the striped neckband! Appreciate the comparison with the plantain as that's been my staple.... And this piques my interest for trying this pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle! I am super proud of that striped neckband. I definitely recommend this pattern- it's got a lot of options and is different enough from Plantain to warrant a separate pattern purchase.

      Delete
  2. I love this emerald color on you! Beautiful! I've been eyeing Hey June's leggings for the nice skinny cut, but then I decided to just change up my Jalie yoga pants because it was easier. This looks like a great basic V with a lot of room for additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! Jewel tones are definitely my thing.

      Delete
  3. I have this pattern and assembled it during Me Made May but haven't gotten to it yet. I felt confused about what size to make-- doesn't the pattern only list finished measurements or something? I guess I should just start with whatever size I made in the Lane Raglan and go from there. Yours all look great! I will have to give the v-neck a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep- it lists the finished measurements, which I kinda thought was helpful. That way you can decide how you want it to fit- positive or negative ease. I went with positive ease for a looser fit, but if you wanted a closer fit you could choose whatever size is closest or even just a bit smaller than your actual bust measurements.

      You should definitely try the v-neck! It was fun to try a new technique and I'm really happy with how they turned out!

      Delete
  4. Man, I wonder about those Girl Charlee knits sometimes. I have had at least three cuts billed as cotton lycra but which I could have sworn had rayon in them. I love your shirts, am super-impressed with your neckbands (knit neckbands are the bane of my existence) and particularly love the green one. I wish I could buy cotton knit by the kilo here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've definitely had some unexpected Girl Charlee experiences. That said, I've also had some good experiences... hmm. Ha ha- buying jersey by the kilo was pretty funny- I had no concept of how long one kilo of jersey would be, so I had the guy measure it before I committed. It was cheaper by the kilo, but you had to buy more that way (depending on the fabric weight, it can be anywhere from 2-3 meters/kilo.)

      Delete
  5. That is some A1+ stripe usage on the V-neck! Bravissimo :D I need a V-neck t-shirt pattern in my life so I might just have to pick this up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny! My trick is not to use the pattern piece, but note the measurements and use the stripes as my cutting guide. It's a great pattern- you should give it a try!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, you nailed it with the stripes. Good tip!!

      Delete
  6. Nice job in ghose Vs and three tees in one day, sweeet. My first two tries at a V were a total botch job. I should have looked for better instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought the instructions were quite good,but I also took advantage of some online tutorials/videos to make sure I understood. They're definitely not perfect, but totally passable.

      Delete
  7. You look great!!! What a great shape on you, boyfriendy but still feminine, and I love the v-neck especially. You know ... you could put a Plantain neckline on this shirt ... that's what I've been doing with some refashion/upcycles of turtleneck shirts (ugh, I hate turtlenecks for a million reasons, don't touch my neck!!). Keep the guts of the short but change the neckline, recycling the ribbing that I harvest from the turtleneck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I should definitely try mixing and matching necklines- good idea!

      Delete
  8. Your tees look great! I love the v-neck versions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look really great!! I really only have Plantain for basic tees - and this is a lot more loose fitting and casual (in a good way). And the v-neck option is a definite plus!

    And don't beat yourself up over your point on the v-neck... I made my husband a v-neck and he didn't like that it wasn't dead center so I fixed it (which took forever), and then he looked at his RTW shirts and saw they weren't even close to centered! D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie! I think this is a good alternative to Plantain. And it doesn't have to be loose-fitting- I just chose to cut that size! The fitted Union St. Tees I have seen on the interwebs are pretty awesome, too.

      Ha ha- comparing to RTW is always funny. Sometimes I'm thinking "How did they do that?!" and sometimes I am thinking "I can do that better..."

      Delete
  10. These all look awesome and your v-necks look great!! V-necks really intimidate me. I think it's nice to have a different option from Plantain too. As your fellow pattern junkie, I too have this pattern but I haven't made it up yet. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The v-neck was not as bad as I thought it would be- you should give it a try! Can't wait to see yours when you get to it!

      Delete
  11. These are fabulous Meg. I love that free colour on you and as a stripe devotee I'm suitably impressed with the neck and on the stripey one! I've just played around with V necks for an Oliver + S tutorial so I appreciate the trickiness, but you're right, we often do it better than the mass produced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh, free colour should read green colour

      Delete