Monday, January 15, 2018

Style Arc Cher Dress


Due to some efficient cutting, I found myself with a bit of Fabric Mart's black ponte fabric leftover from my Metropolitan Chimera Jacket... while the black was still threaded in my machines, I decided to make it into a quick dress!



Inspired by the versions made by Kneesocks + Goldilocks, I opted for the Style Arc Cher Knit Dress, a knee-length, exaggerated cocoon-shaped knit turtleneck dress with slim sleeves. I've been on the prowl for cocoon-shaped dresses, preferably with long sleeves to suit my current environment.  


If you've been reading this blog for a while, you'll know I love a good cocoon shape. Modern! Comfy! Suitable for large meals!


The Cher dress has only three pattern pieces (upper bodice, skirt, sleeve) that are all cut on the fold, making it a simple sew. It's the same front and back, which isn't an issue fit-wise because of the large amount of ease through the bodice. 


I cut a size 16, which matches my upper body size (my lower half is usually a size bigger). It worked out perfectly, though, because of the shape of the dress.


I really love the final dress! It's comfy and cute. It did give me a chuckle, though, because the first thought that crossed my mind when I tried it on and spied myself in the mirror was "Sprockets" (well, a female Sprocket), which will only make sense to you if you are old like me. I blame it on the turtleneck and black fabric.


My husband had a different reaction: "Can you wear a belt?" I calmly explained to him that the whole point of the dress was to be enormous through the middle and belting it would defeat the purpose. We'll just agree to disagree on this one, because I think it's awesome!