Thursday, February 21, 2019

Simplicity 8655 Tie Front Top

A two-for-one deal here today on the blog!



This project is one half (the "night" half... see my "day" half here) of my Day and Night Dress Challenge entry. I love this challenge, organized by Elizabeth Made This, and am so happy to participating for a third year! Head to Elizabeth's blog to see my two looks side-by-side.


The pattern I chose for my night look is Simplicity 8655, a Mimi G design for a tie front cropped cardigan/top thing with wide sleeves (the pattern also comes with some killer high waisted, pintucked pants that I want to try eventually, too!).


I figured the simple but elegant lines of the top paired with a saturated colors of the floral I chose would look great on the blank canvas of my Lou Box Dress. Plus, the tie top fits in perfectly with my Sew Twists and Ties challenge! Hence the two-for-one deal. Scratch that, this may be a three-for-one project, since I think it works for #SewingFloralFebruary, too!


For some reason I always struggle with choosing a size when sewing the Big 4 patterns. I think typically I sew an 18, which is sizing down from what the body measurements chart tells me. But I had heard a rumor that Mimi G's patterns have significantly less ease. I couldn't find too much information on finished measurements, so size 20 is what I chose!


The fabric is a rayon or viscose challis with a hint of stretch, purchased in Vietnam a couple years back. I just adore the bold colors and watercolor-style floral print. I thought the fabric would suit a super simple design like the Simplicity 8655 top...


Warning: if you don't like sewing narrow hems, this might not be the pattern for you. Aside from the back neck, which is finished with a tiny piece of bias tape, every edge is finished with a narrow hem!


I really love this little top! It's super fun, bright and breezy. My only regret is that I wish I had used a fabric that looked the same on both sides, or a sheer fabric, because the wrong sides of the tie show often as they float around in the breeze.


I imagine I'll wear this in the summer, too! I could see it with a jean skirt (like the Ellis skirt?), a floaty maxi dress, and in a thousand other configurations!

Thanks again for having me join in the challenge, Elizabeth!