Friday, September 13, 2024

Boiled Wool Estelle Ponte Jacket

Moving on to some autumn sewing...

This cozy layering piece is the Style Arc Estelle Ponte Jacket, obviously not made of ponte, though.

I don't know if waterfall cardigans are in anymore; probably not. But I don't care. I love the other two versions of this pattern that I made years ago, and wear them both tons. 

For fabric, I used this beautiful boiled wool blend fabric from Stash. It's got the gorgeous nubby texture of a boiled wool, with the delicious drape of viscose. 

All the color options Robin chose are perfect for fall (pumpkin spice! pine! a deep, dramatic purple!), but I went with the olive green and I am so happy with it.


The boiled wool fabric was perfect for this pattern: the edges of the boiled wool don't fray, so they don't need to be finished. The Estelle Ponte Jacket is constructed with raw edges at the hems and the main seam allowances are finished a sort of a lapped style, also with a raw edge. You just have to be careful with your cutting to ensure a smooth edge.

The viscose content in the fabric also provides the perfect drape and movement for the dramatic collar. So floaty!

I'm pretty enamored with this jacket - it will give a fabulously cozy pop of color to my fall and winter wardrobe, and I know I'll wear it often, whether to the office or just to be cozy while working from home.