Monday, September 23, 2024

Plaid Flannel Tarawi Shirt

 'Tis the season for flannel...

I actually started this project last fall, in November, cutting it out and even fusing it. But then my mom had a major medical emergency (she's doing great now!) and I left the project sitting for several months while I was helping her out. 


I couldn't bring myself to keep working on it until a couple weeks ago. But I'm so happy I finally finished it, because it's great!

(Does this photo below give anyone else senior photo vibes?)


It's a Muna and Broad Tarawi shirt, my fourth version. It's the same size and I made the same minor changes I did for my last flannel Tarawi


I cut a size E with the 2+ chest option (meaning 2-3 inches of difference between high and full bust), graded to D at the hip, and chose the narrower sleeve option and the narrower  collar option.

I simplified the pockets (well, pocket) a bit by folding out the pleats and incorporating the facing into the main pocket piece. I only cut one pocket, and moved the placement up and out slightly from the pattern markings.


I cut the yoke, cuffs, and pocket all on the bias, and I used heavy duty snaps for closures. I finished the hem with bias tape because the fabric seemed like it would be too thick to double fold.


Speaking of fabric, the fabric is a beautiful, beefy plaid cotton flannel from a local producer that shall not be named because after I bought the fabric from them I learned about some heinous political opinions the owner had. 

It's since changed ownership, but the new owner also has a reputation for some sketchy shit. And to make matters worse, the customer service at their store was horrible- they made me pay for the fabric before they cut it!! Talk about trust issues.


Anyway, I love the fabric- olive, purple, pops of orange... super thick and soft, with a brushed surface.

Very pleased with my Tarawi! Super cozy and sure to get worn tons.