Sunday, January 12, 2014

Deer and Doe Plantain T-shirt


Another day, another free pattern!  This one is Plantain from a French pattern company, Deer and Doe.  I've had my eye on the Deer and Doe patterns for a while (particularly the Sureau dress and Datura blouse), but haven't pulled the trigger and bought any, mostly because their patterns are not downloadable and I wasn't keen on paying international shipping.  The free, downloadable Plantain pattern was the perfect test run, and now I am reconsidering my stance!


In short: this pattern rocks. Clearly designed for a woman with hips (yay!), the top flares out at the hem, which also helps disguise muffin top.  The neckline is great, too.  Love it!


Until this point, I was not entirely convinced that making my own t-shirts was really worth it.  It's been like Goldilocks and the Three Bears...  My first t-shirt, Megan Nielsen's Briar, was not the right style for my shape (I've never actually worn it in public).  My second, Grainline's Scout, was a bit shapeless (which works in the woven version, but not so much the knit version, although that hasn't stopped me from wearing it).  Plantain: juuuuuust right.  So right that I just lay the pattern pieces on top of my polka dot knit Scout and might convert it to a Plantain.  


 Made from some cotton slub knit from Joann.  The only changes I made to the pattern were lengthening the sleeves slightly (I used the line created by taping the PDF pattern pages together- I probably added an inch) and sewing the neckband on with a smaller seam allowance (probably only 1/4"-3/8" inch rather than 5/8").  Also, check out my sweet twin needle hem below.  I adore how professional it looks!


PS: After seeing this t-shirt, Tim was overcome with jealousy.  A peanut butter and jealousy sandwich craving that can only be sated with a Thread Theory Strathcona t-shirt.

PPS: This might be the first time I have completed a sew-along garment during the time allotted for the sew-along.  Winning! 

2 comments:

  1. OK so that tshirt is cool and all, but by far the best part about this post is the link to Peanut Butter Jelly Time. as you know, it is one of Scuba's favorites... Nice work on the shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha... I was hoping someone would click on the Peanut Butter Jelly Time link!

      Delete