Saturday, January 18, 2014

Lady Skater Peplum Top

It's like a peplum parade 'round these here parts, eh?  Here's my latest peplum: a wearable muslin of Kitschy Coo's Lady Skater dress done as a peplum top according to her instructions.

I made this top from some crazy '80s print knit fabric Martha dug out of the basement for me (thanks, Martha!)... I'm pretty sure George Michael, Duran Duran or someone of their ilk had a t-shirt made from the same fabric back in the day. I also got to use my new twin needle (double thanks, Martha!) for the hem, which worked like a charm.

I think I dig the pattern, although after a week of wins, it's slightly disappointing. I think it just needs some size changes to work for me, though. I'm definitely going to make it again, but go down a size and hopefully get the alterations correct.  I certainly love the neckline: super flattering!  The top is really comfy and more exciting than a regular t-shirt.

Changes I made to the pattern:
  • I cut the skirt to 11 inches from the waist line for the peplum and then slashed and spread it about 4.5 inches to make it more drapey (maybe too drapey? yes, much too drapey.).  
  • After putting the top together, I realized the waist hit me in a terribly unflattering spot, so I shortened the bodice by about 2 inches.  
  • I was sorta between sizes, so I went for the larger size to be safe, but I think next time I'll go down a size- this was a bit loose in the high bust under the armpits and in the waist, although I think the waist got a bit stretched out when I unpicked it to shorten the bodice... perhaps a run through the dryer would help shrink things back to size?  Ha ha, I jest.  I don't have a dryer here in Bangkok and you can tell because all of my clothes are super stretched out from hang drying for 2 plus years. 
  • I didn't follow the directions for the neckband: I sewed the shoulders together, sewed the neckband in a circle and then eased it in successfully.