Sunday, May 18, 2014

Black Mabel Pencil Skirt

When I made my Me Made May pledge, I knew in advance that my me-mades mainly consisted of tops, with a few dresses and scant bottoms thrown in.  Making more skirts and pants (beyond just elastic waist pants) is on my to-do list.  I thought I'd start simple: the new Mabel knit skirt from Colette.  Easy, basic, comfortable...


My new skirt is made from some black french terry that I bought at L.GEmini on Sampeng Lane in Bangkok's Chinatown (same place I got the cool grey knit for Tim's Strathcona t-shirt, which I aso used for the waistband lining).  I went looking for a stable knit as required by the pattern, but there was a little communication difficulty on my part, so I ended up walking around the entire store feeling and stretching each roll of knit fabric until I found this black french terry. Sewing with the french terry was great... stable knits are so easy to cut and sew!  Zip, zip, zip on the serger and I had myself a skirt within a few hours.


Unfortunately, in black, the details like the cool seaming, are completely invisible.
The skirt turned out pretty great!  I made the longer pencil skirt with the kick pleat (view 3), the one with the seams down the front of the thighs (like princess seams on your legs? is that a thing?). The fit was good in the hips, although next time I might make the waist just a tiny bit smaller... The only thing I noticed is that the bottom hem seems to have flared out a bit.  Maybe I stretched it out when doing the twin needle hem?  Who knows, it might settle back into place after a wash. Or it might not, because I don't have a dryer and knits with poor recovery don't fare well here in BKK. Hmmm.  


All in all, a great pattern and a great basic skirt, good for work or bopping around town. I definitely want to try making the version with the button placket in the front- so cute!  But I'd like to make it the length of the pencil skirt since minis are not my thing.  I could also see making the pencil skirt version with a fun contrasting front panel.  I've also got some ikat print ponte left over from my Tessuti Anita pants... that could be a fun Mabel, too!  Lots of options.


3 comments:

  1. It looks great on you. I had high hopes for this pattern but the photos on the models were not inspiring to me - this one is, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's a good pattern... after wearing it for a day, though, I would not use french terry again. Not enough recovery at all- the skirt was practically falling off of me by the end of the day. Maybe ponte or something would be better.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this Mabel skirt with your ideas for making it. I love the length of yours. I'm not a mini wearer., either. This makes me want to try this one. I need a nice fitting black skirt to go with my leggings during the winter. I have a nice black ponte here in the house and hope to try it with that. Thank you, again, for posting this and your ideas for fabric.

    ReplyDelete