Thursday, April 30, 2015

Arielle Skirt

Just in time for Me-Made-May, I've made myself a new skirt! I noticed last year that my me-made wardrobe was mostly tops and dresses, sorely in need of pants and skirts. I've failed to make a significant dent on the pants front (with the exception of my Ginger jeans and a couple Hudsons), but have made progress in the skirt department. Add this one to the list.


This baby is the new Arielle skirt from Tilly and the Buttons. I snatched up this pattern right away: high waisted, off-set row of buttons... yes and yes! Plus, I wear pencil skirts all the time to work; they're a go-to for me. Also: I am easily distracted by shiny new things (ahem, patterns).


I made my Arielle from some twill-y, canvas-y stuff from my stash. Not sure what it is, but it's fairly thick, probably toeing the line of too-thick for this skirt. But it works ok. No stretch in the fabric, which wasn't a problem for me. From the Arielle instructions, it seems like stretch is optional. This fabric creases quite a bit, I learned from wearing to the office today. Oh well.


Colorwise, the fabric looks solid grey from afar, but up close it's got lots of colors -- navy, maroon, green -- running through it. It may not be the bright and cheery yellow of Tilly's sample skirt, but it's a good wardrobe staple. As you can see from the photos, I've already found two tops in my me-made wardrobe that go with it: Bonnie and New Look 6107.

My buttons are some boring grey buttons, also from my stash. I sewed them on upside down because they looked better that way. Next time I make Arielle (and there will certainly be a next time!), I'll be sure to shop for some more exciting buttons.


My sewing notes:

Obviously, I went with the longer version of the Arielle pattern. The final result is a bit more A-line than I thought it would be based on the sample, but I still like it. You could always taper it in a bit at the bottom if you want it more pegged. The fit is great for me; I am super happy with it. I feel like the pattern would be quite easy to fiddle with, too, if it's not quite your shape.


The patterns comes with instructions to make the skirt lined or unlined. I opted for unlined, serging the edge of the facings. Next time I'll spend a little bit more time and either try the lined version or maybe bind the edge of the facings so the insides look nicer.

I didn't make any adjustments to the pattern and followed the instructions to a T. The only thing I did differently was to stitch the facings down at the darts in addition to the side seams, because it was rolling out a bit in the back. Also, I sewed one of the lower buttons through both layers of the skirt because I screwed up one of the buttonholes. So I can't fully unbutton the skirt, but really only need to be able to unbutton the top 3 or 4 to get it on, so it's still functional.


Verdict on Arielle: love it! I plan to make more of these, for sure. Maybe a denim version? I also have some crazy Thai, gold foil border print fabric that could work for Arielle since the pattern has a straight bottom hem. Are you planning on making Arielle? What fabric will you use?


20 comments:

  1. I lOVE this skirt. It is so flattering on you and the fabric is awesome. It looks terrific with that teal sweater, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! I am really happy with the pattern- I can't wait to make more of these...

      Delete
  2. Really cute! It looks great with the stripe tee especially. I think this would look great in denim. I've been admiring people's Arielles...I'm passing on this particular skirt because high waisted styles are really uncomfortable on me. I just don't like how it feels on my mid section, but that's my quirk, and I have yet to see a bad version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally understand not liking high waists- it's definitely an acquired feel! For me, I feel like they hold all the soft parts in and smooth over any bumps.

      Delete
  3. Really cute! It looks great with the stripe tee especially. I think this would look great in denim. I've been admiring people's Arielles...I'm passing on this particular skirt because high waisted styles are really uncomfortable on me. I just don't like how it feels on my mid section, but that's my quirk, and I have yet to see a bad version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty much the perfect skirt for you, I think! I especially love it with the tucked-in floral blouse.

    I really like the offset buttons, but I am just not a straight skirt/pencil skirt girl. But for real, you are working it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! If you had asked me 4-5 years ago if I was a straight skirt girl, or if you asked me if I would be posing on my blog in a pencil skirt and cropped sweater, I would have laughed and laughed and laughed. Oh, how sewing has changed me!

      Delete
  5. This looks really great on you! I just saw a really cute denim version on Instagram last night - that combined with your version is really swaying me on this pattern. Maybe it will finally be a skirt I can wear? Seems like you could do a lot of fun things with it. I really like the slight A-line too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- lots of potential for different fabrics and pattern hacks with this one. What do you mean a skirt you can finally wear? I saw you rocking the Bristol skirt just this week!

      Delete
    2. Well I made it, and I put it one for pictures, but that's about the extent of the wear. LOL. It just doesn't feel like me.
      Did you do any adjustments for fit on your arielle?

      Delete
  6. This looks so good on you! I love it with both of your tops. I am so glad that you're distracted by all of the shiny new patterns. I have added so many things to my wishlist after seeing your great versions. This is another one to add!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks, Teri! Glad my pattern addiction is feeding into yours ;-)

      Delete
  7. The skirt looks great on you and the fabric is BEAUTIFUL!!! I also love how it goes with the white blouse with flowers!! Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your skirt is so cute! I didn't think the buttons you used were boring -- I like them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alli! The buttons have a little sheen going on... so they've got that going for them. I think I just got button envy while checking out some of the other Arielles out there on the interwebs. Must find fun buttons, stat!

      Delete
  9. Denim would look fab made up in this pattern! Love your version here too, Meg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! Yes to denim! I have some floral, slightly stretchy denim that might work as an Arielle.

      Delete