Thursday, October 15, 2015

Testing, testing: Cashmerette Appleton Wrap Dress


Super happy with this make from earlier in the summer (as you can tell from my relatively long hair)!!

This is the first Cashmerette pattern, Appleton, a wrap dress, naturally, from Jenny, the queen of wrap dresses!!!


As I said, Cashmerette patterns are specifically designed with curvy ladies in mind. The patterns range in size from 12-28 and allow you to choose your cup size.  Read all about this awesome new venture here!

I've got a full review of the pattern over on the Curvy Sewing Collective if you want all the dirty deets.

Go check it out!


This dress was a pleasure to sew up... the instructions were quite clear and I am in love with the final product!  It's such a quick sew, too. Very satisfying to sew a classy dress that can go from the office to drinks in such a short amount of time!


Please note that this is the tester version of the Appleton dress... a few minor tweaks have been made to the pattern as a result of testing since this, including taking a tiny bit of curve out of the hip area.


I love how the wide neckband is snug to my body so there is no threat of gaping or flashing. Also, the skirt has a generous amount overlap, for which I am thankful while standing on the occasionally breezy platforms of Bangkok's elevated rail system. 

I bought the fabric at Nido, an adorable fabric and yarn store in Burlington, Vermont when I was visiting this past summer.  It's some lovely jersey with amazing stretch and recovery. The fabric content has slipped my mind (I should have written it down!), but it's a nice medium weight, not too clingy. I love how the stripey bits look going in different directions on the neckband and waist tie!


I love the Appleton pattern and can't wait to make more of these babies! I've worn my tester version several times, including for a couple important work events, and felt comfy and chic each time.

Congratulations to Jenny on launching this labor of love for the curvy ladies of the world!!!

19 comments:

  1. Wow, lovely version of this dress! I am not super curvy but am tempted by this pattern. All the ones I have see are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I think it's a great pattern- and easy to sew!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress looks great! That fabric is a perfect match for the pattern and for your coloring. (I also want your shoes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! Ha ha, you can have the shoes- although I love how they look, they are too tall to be comfortable!!

      Delete
  4. One of my faves, as you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dress! I'm tempted by this pattern for my company's quarterly board meetings. I'm also hoping it would be easy to hack as a top, because I think wrap tops are really cute with jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appleton is perfect for board meetings! A top version of it would be really cute, too!

      Delete
  6. This looks great on you, Meg!! I love the fabric you chose, it's perfect for this. Knit wrap dresses are the bomb - flattering and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inder! I love wrap dresses, too- can't believe I haven't made one for myself until this one!

      Delete
  7. Looks super professional! Really like that print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fabulous Meg! Great fabric choice and the fit looks spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool print and this is such the perfect pattern to show it off! I love the stripe direction change on the binding. This looks like a super comfy wrap, and it's so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I liked how the stripes worked on the binding, too!

      Delete
  10. I thought I had commented already - let me just pile on and say that this looks fabulous on you. I actually have not seen one yet that wasn't super-flattering on the wearer and am itching to get the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks, Masha! The Appleton would look awesome on you!

      Delete