Friday, October 2, 2015

McCall's 6083 Jumpsuit

I made a jumpsuit!! And I have a lot to say about it!


Honestly, in the past, the idea of jumpsuits struck fear in my heart for various reasons. Mostly I was thinking I just couldn't pull one off, style-wise. But after seeing so many cute jumpsuits sewn up on the interwebs, I knew it was time to get over my fear and try it out.


Plus my mom made one recently, so... gauntlet thrown. Here's hers, an old-school '90s era McCall's 5431:


I have the By Hand London Holly jumpsuit in my stash, but I thought it prudent to start with a pattern that's a little bit less form fitting and then dive into the Holly pool if that went well. McCall's 6083 seemed like a good start- elastic waist, no closures, easy fit.


I'd seen many gorgeous versions of McCall's 6083 out there (see True Bias, Crab and Bee), but was completely sold on the pattern when I saw the version made by Margo at Creating in the Gap a few weeks ago. Perfection! I basically decided to outright copy her... view E wrap top + full leg pants, white on black print in a flowy fabric. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? 


This pattern is a super easy sew. Cut on sleeves, built-in facings on the wrap front, no closures. Hooray! It is, however, not super easy to get in and out of. You pull it on by stepping through the neckhole and pulling it over your shoulders. I tremble at the thought of trying to wrangle out this jumpsuit in order to go to the bathroom, particularly at some of Bangkok's more, ahem, cleanliness-challenged public restrooms. But the comfort factor of wearing head-to-toe rayon challis may trump this inconvenience.


My fabric is some lovely geometric dot print rayon challis I bought at Spotlight in Singapore when I was there in May. It's a nice, soft, weighty rayon, perfect for this jumpsuit. They were having a major sale on rayon and had some gorgeous prints... I stocked up, so expect more.


I did have to make a couple alterations to the pattern to make it work for me, but I am pretty damn happy with how it turned out!!


Here are my construction notes:

I had some major wrap top gaping. Major. I think my body just does not work for woven wrap tops without alteration.. perhaps it's my slouch? Anyway there's enough evidence to make it official: see Yaletown (I ultimately added buttons across the wrap and love it), Anderson (still haven't attempted to fix this one to fit).

So to fix my jumpsuit gaping problem I added 3 small buttons and buttonholes across the wrap. On my Yaletown, they weren't functional buttons, but on this jumpsuit, they had to be functional since the neckline is the entry/exit point.



Margo and others mentioned that the pattern was a bit short in length in the body. As designed I was able to get it on ok and probably could have gotten away with not lengthening it, but I would have been on high wedgie and camel toe alert at all times, which is no way to live. As such, and in the spirit of fully copying Margo, I added a waistband/elastic casing.

I wasn't planning on making the waist sash, but the jumpsuit is not as belly pooch-friendly as I hoped. I ended up making the sash to disguise/distract from that area.


Sizewise, I cut my normal Big 4 size on the top and went up a size for the pants. A good choice, as there is not much extra room in the butt region. It's a closer fit there than I imagined it would be! Beware those with full bottoms, this is a flat bottom pattern.


The pants were a bit long on me. I ended up hemming them about 2 inches in order to wear the jumpsuit with my go-to sandals, which have medium-high heels. I am thinking now from the photos that they could go a little bit shorter:


I made one-layer pockets, rather than 2 layer because I prefer less bulk in the hip area. Also I hate when you put your hands in your pocket to pull out your phone or whatever and the pocket bag comes out with your hand. Pet peeve, I guess. Last time I made this alteration I had a request for a tutorial. I've attempted to do a tutorial- coming soon in my next post!


Finally, for those of you patient enough to read all the way through, and in honor of Gillian's Better Pictures Project October assignment to take a series of pictures to capture movement, I give you these amazingly hilarious (albeit not very flattering) "jump"suit shots.
You're welcome.












48 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore this and you can most certainly can pull off a jumpsuit. The fabric choice and style are beautiful on you.

    I love that your mom made a jumpsuit -- that is motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! Ha, my mom and I had a bit of a jumpsuit race. She won. But I followed soon after ;-)

      Delete
  2. Hey twinsie! I am totally flattered and happy that I inspired your awesome make. Love it!! You look awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the inspiration, Margo!!

      Delete
  3. Jumping in a jumpsuit! The best!
    This looks great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) thanks, Jenny! Thanks for the "movement" inspiration! Next time I'll try a more serious version. The pun was too good to pass up, though.

      Delete
  4. Meg -- this is awesome and looks awesome on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the fabric you used. And you really went from 0 to 60 SO fast looool You and Gillian have inspired me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasha! Ha ha- more like 0 to crazy... I'll definite try for more normal movement photos on my next try.

      Delete
  6. This pretty awesome! Though I do have to say, the bathroom factor is really a conundrum ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks, Megan! I am perplexed, too. I'll let you know how the bathroom situation goes.

      Delete
  7. I think this looks great on you and OMG I love your action shots! (they also show that you can move in the jumpsuit with no wardrobe malfunctions.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie! The action shots are really fun- I'll definitely have to do some more (maybe I few more serious ones next time!). I think if I hadn't put the buttons on the wrap, there certainly would have been a wardrobe malfunction. But with the buttons: no prob.

      Delete
  8. Your jumpsuit is very lovely. The fabric is a perfect choice. I have really loved the look of jumpsuits on other people. But my number one hesitation is exactly what you mentioned about going to the bathroom. The idea of having to get practically naked just to pee sounds exhausting. lol. But you look so elegant and put together wearing yours, it makes me want to jump on the bandwagon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yeah, even though I love the look of the jumpsuit, I really worried about its functionality!! I'll let you know how it goes ;-)

      Delete
  9. The best part about this post are the jump shots at the end!! Jumping in a jumpsuit! Yeeesss!!
    I think this looks really great on you Meg - and so soft and comfy I bet. Also what a great way to stash bust! I'm looking forward to your pocket tutorial, as you do mention doing a single layer pocket a lot, and I have no idea what that looks like.
    I bet this jumpsuit would work really well in a patterned rayon knit too, and that might make it easier to get in and out of. Also your Mom looks super cute in hers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- glad you appreciate the jumping shots! I was making myself laugh so hard with the camera timer on the balcony that my husband came out and asked "Are you ok?"

      Ooh- I bet a knit would work very well for this!

      Delete
  10. Your jumpsuit looks fantastic on you! I love the sash you added! Also, your second jumping picture is fantastic. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alli! The second jumping pic is my favorite, too- I was almost in tears laughing when I saw it!

      Delete
  11. Love. It. So. Much. You know we'll need to share these on our social media, right? Especially the jumping photos. And love that you got your mom in there too. Good daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so against wearing a jumpsuit (I wore them in the 70's) until I saw this post. It's certainly do-able for me, especially after seeing your mom showcasing her retro version. You look great and it looks comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin! if you've worn jumpsuits in the past, you know the pros and cons well! You should definitely give them another try!

      Delete
  13. So much awesome here!!! You don't just pull off this look you kill it! But I have personally experienced Thai "toilets" and I am a bit worried for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks, Inder! I am equally concerned about the bathroom situation... maybe I'll just have to strategically wear the jumpsuit only in situations that won't involve public toilets.

      Delete
  14. I'm on the fence about jumpsuits. They make my fashion sense get all nervous. I'm an apple shape and I just can't imagine that working well with a jumpsuit. Your's looks so awesome and comfy that it might be enough to pull me over and try one. Maybe....

    Great job with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jumpsuits made me really nervous, too! I just decided to go for it and give it a try... why not? You should, too!

      Delete
  15. Love the jumpsuit, very classy. You look lovey. Great job! Your crazy pictures made me laugh!
    Bonnie @ sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Glad to make you laugh, that's what I was aiming for!

      Delete
  16. Oh! I love this! Can't wait to see you make up the holly as well. The rayon was a perfect choice! Such a flattering and uber cool make! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! Rayon is my favorite because it looks AND feels lovely. Win-win.

      Delete
  17. Seriously kick ass! Love how elegant it looks in the rayon - the pants drape so nicely. Of course the crazy jumping jump suit is less elegant but super fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks, Noelle! I am definitely not an elegant jumper, but it was really fun!

      Delete
  18. High wedgie and camel toe alert made me laugh! Love the addition of the waist tie. Makes it look much more office than the pyjamas look many end up as.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, the jumpsuit can veer into pajama territory!

      Delete
  19. The action shots are so fun! I love #2 the best--the shocked face! Nice touch adding the waist tie--it really adds the perfect focal point. You said you bought fabric for this one--did you have to break your fabric fast? ;)

    Seeing your Mom's jumpsuit reminded me of my own that I had circa 5th grade. It had similar lines but in a garishly Laura Ashleyesque brown floral print that only the early 90s could have created. Ah, it was so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No fabric fast breaking! This was a pre-fast purchase!

      Ha ha, my mom's jumpsuit is quite early 90s in both style and fabric choice, isn't it?!

      Delete
  20. Looking forward to the tutorial!! Love the fabric & pattern combo! I have seen so many good jumpsuits lately too & think this coming summer (Aus) will be the time to try one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! Yes... jumpsuits for everyone!

      Delete
  21. Those jumping pictures are just fantastic! The jumpsuit really looks great! I love your fabric choice, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri! I had so much fun jumping!

      Delete
  22. This jumpsuit looks great on you! I have the same pattern and pick it up and put it down like every other day. I've never made a jumpsuit but I'm feeling more brave about it after seeing your awesome results! And thanks for the tip about it being a flat butt pattern...I will need some adjustments there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michell! You should make it! Yeah, there is plenty of room in the thighs on the pants, which I was happy about, but I think if you have a round butt, you might need more space in the seat area.

      Delete
  23. The last few pics are priceless hehe I don't think you needed to worry about pulling a jumpsuit off. You are rocking it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the jumpsuit ! It fits you so well ... the pant legs hang beautifully without any wrinkling or bagging on the legs or under the seat ... it's hard to get a good fit with pants but you've done it !! And the belt finishes it off with a dressy look and the cap sleeves make perfect balance..... congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! The pant fit was pretty lucky for me- no alterations there!

      Delete