Monday, October 12, 2015

Anna + Veronika = Annonika?


I needed a dress to wear to a good friend's wedding recently (the same wedding for which I made my beach cover-up Mojave)...



The fabric I wanted to use for my dress is some lovely cotton I got in Hong Kong's Sham Shui Po district last year. The super saturated greens and blues and those absolutely ENORMOUS flowers caught my eye in a pile on a street cart. I got it for an absolute steal. I'm not sure what it is, really... a little bit heavier than a voile or lawn, with a lovely sateen-y sheen. It was 60 inches wide, which is pretty fabulous.


The fabric was really the driving factor behind the pattern choice. I wanted something that could accommodate the giant print and not break it up too much. After taking a poll on Instagram and thinking about it a bit, I decided to go for the bodice of By Hand London Anna and paired it with Megan Nielsen's Veronika circle skirt.  I've been on a bit of an Anna high after the International Anna Party and my first circle skirt kinda rocked my world, so it was an easy choice.

(some failed, blurry, dark twirling pics, an assignment from Gillian's Better Pictures Project... it's just too tight to twirl on my balcony!)


I love the final result! The Anna bodice and big circle skirt plays so well with a large scale print...


The Veronika skirt worked perfectly, although ended up a bit shorter than my ponte version, probably because I didn't use a waistband so it's sitting higher. I finished the skirt hem with bias tape to maximize the length.


Here is in in action at the casual, bay-side, shoeless wedding... and, since I'm posting embarrassing pics lately, the late night after party, where things got a bit craz-zay on the dance floor... I wish I could remember what song was playing. Clearly it sparked something in me:

37 comments:

  1. TWIRL, baby, twirl! And OMG, the dance floor photo. GOLD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- thanks, Gillian! One of these days I'll get myself off the balcony for some proper twirling! Bangkok's "cool" season is approaching...

      And the dance floor photo- too funny NOT to post!!

      Delete
    2. It looks like I am eating an invisible hamburger.

      Delete
  2. Awesome pattern mashup. The length is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally in love with your dress! It is difficult not to leave work immediately to go sew a circle dress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! They are a bit addictive!

      Delete
  4. I, too, am in love with this dress! Let me know if you want to sell it. Seriously! The color is great, you look chic and fun... blah, blah, blah, love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, thanks, Megan! I'll hold on to it for a little while in case of another wedding. Green is my favorite!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this dress! The fabric is gorgeous and the circle skirt is a perfect match for the Anna bodice. And that last picture is just the best thing I've seen all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Teri! Ha, glad the last pic made you laugh... too funny not to post it!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic! Great pattern hack -- this works amazingly well with the large print -- and it looks like you had such fun at the wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was a great wedding!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous dress! Perfect silhouette for the fabric. And clearly a lot of fun to wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Noelle! I was so happy with this fabric and pattern pairing! It is definitely fun to wear!

      Delete
  8. This is gorgeous on you! I love the fabric, the colours really suit you. Anna with a circle skirt is my favourite, I have one to post this week too! Looks like you had lots of fun in it which makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheona! Your Anna + circle skirt combo is AWESOME!

      Delete
  9. That's one beautiful dress! Just perfect :) you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that final picture!! So awesome! But your dress is even more awesome. That print is so gorgeous. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andie!! I really lucked out with this fabric, didn't I?

      Delete
  11. That's awesome fabric! I almost didn't even notice the flowers until you pointed them out, but just thought it was an abstract crazy-print. I'm gonna call this an Annika. The Annika silhouette looks great on you! I have some random brownish-orange fall floral fabric that's been in my stash for a while, and after seeing this, I think it would look great as an Annika. Thanks for the inspiration, as always!

    Oh, and that last picture is great. I feel like you're really belting something out, or maybe you're mid-mosh or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annika is so much better than my mash-up! Ooh- a fall Annika would be really nice... do it!

      Yeah, definitely an air-guitar vibe to the last pic!!

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous! Love the action shot on the dance floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! This is definitely a good dancing dress!

      Delete
  13. What a great pattern of fabric for a wedding! You look like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tasha! I am so in love with this fabric...

      Delete
  14. That fabric!!! It's probably one of the most beautiful prints I've ever seen! Perfect combo of print and patterns and the colors just look stunning on you. That dance floor pic is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tanya! I was so delighted when I found it in a giant pile on a street cart! I think it might be a designer remnant because it's really high quality. Glad you enjoyed my air guitar pic ;-)

      Delete
  15. gorgeous dress - great combo with the circle skirt in that fabric ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This turned out to be a great combination!

      Delete
  16. This dress is gorgeous!! That colour looks amazing on you! Love all the pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are rocking this dress. I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel!! It's such a fun party dress...

      Delete
  18. I am in serious love with that fabric!! It works really well with the dress design and I love your pattern placement!

    ReplyDelete