Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Daisy Designer Pants in Linen


The comfy bad boys are my take on Style Arc's Daisy Designer Pants.

The pattern is simple: elastic waist, wide leg trousers with interesting pockets that are sort of a hybrid between patch and in-seam pockets. I did find the pockets to be a little bit low for comfortably resting my hands, though. You can see how I have to sort of contort my body to one side to get my hand in the top part of the pocket.


The Daisy pant has deep, 6" hems with a facing, giving them a nice swingy weight. I topstitched my facings with a twin needle. Because the hem is so deep, I had to mark the stitching line on the right side to make sure I stayed straight with my topstitching!


The elastic is sewn to the top edge of the pants then folded over and topstitched with a twin needle. I feel like my elastic got a little bit stretched out at the waist when serging and topstitching it, but not a huge deal. 


I think next time I make the Daisy pant I'll add a little bit to the rise, particularly in the back. Keep in mind, though, if you make the Daisy pant, that I am pretty high-waisted and my preference is to wear my pants at Urkel levels. As such, take my warning/advice about the low-waistedness of the Daisy pant with a grain of salt.


Otherwise, I am pretty delighted with the fit: not too tight, not too loose, nice fit in the bum. They are the perfect length for flat sandals, which is how I intended to wear them. 


The fabric is a Kaufman stretch chambray linen in red, a linen/cotton/lycra blend from a couple years back. I can't seem to find it online, so maybe it's no longer available? I used cream colored thread for the topstitching.


Pretty happy with these pants! With the comfort level so high, they'll definitely get a lot of wear during my travels and everyday bopping around town!


26 comments:

  1. Love your pants, Meg. Love the colour and how you style it. So lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pants and the color.
    Do you think this fabric will be similar to fabric?
    http://www.moodfabrics.com/italian-metallic-adobe-rose-woven-linen-311993.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's a beautiful fabric- I don't know if it would be exactly the same, but I definitely think it would work well for the pattern!

      Delete
  3. I love those pants on you! I got that pattern as part of TMS Indie pattern swap and I cut a muslin out of an inexpensive rayon months ago, but I have yet to sew them up. I think you've inspired me to try to get them sewn up over the Thanksgiving weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Definitely give them a go- they're the perfect post-Thanksgiving pants with their elastic waist ;-)

      Delete
  4. These look so cool and comfy, perfect for summer! Though I guess it's kinda always summer where you live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yep, perma-summer! And thank you! ;-)

      Delete
  5. So cute! And I love the color. BTW, I had to up the rise on mine as well, front and back. And I agree, great hem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Coco! Ok, glad to know it's not just me that felt they needed a slightly higher rise!

      Delete
  6. These are really cute pants. The wide legs have a nice casual summer vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like those on you Meg. May I be so bold as to ask you what size you made them in? I hear you about the Urkel waist, I'm the same way too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I made a size 16- my hips are about 45.5". Glad I'm not the only one rocking the Urkel pants!

      Delete
  8. Seriously love these pants! That fabric! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andie! It's great fabric- I'm sad I couldn't find it online anymore!

      Delete
  9. They look ideal! Did you go to India Emporium for the linen?
    Mary in Thailand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Nope, this was fabric from the U.S. that I've had for a couple of years.

      Delete
  10. Instantly became obsessed with these pants...and then became obsessed with this fabric while I was looking up linens lol. but how adorable would these be??

    http://www.moodfabrics.com/natural-animalistic-blended-stretch-linen-woven-307878.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fun choice!! They would be adorable!

      Delete
  11. These look so good! I bet they feel so breezy and comfy to wear! Your Urkel comment made me snort! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather! So comfy... I love elastic waist pants. Glad to get a laugh out of you ;-)

      Delete
  12. These look so good! I bet they feel so breezy and comfy to wear! Your Urkel comment made me snort! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a no pocket type of gal. Could this pattern be made without pockets? I am a plus gal and with my tummy pockets like these just do not work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra, It would be very easy to leave the pockets off. They're essentially patch pockets, so no problem not including them!

      Delete
  14. I am a no pocket type of gal. Could this pattern be made without pockets? I am a plus gal and with my tummy pockets like these just do not work for me.

    ReplyDelete