Friday, November 11, 2016

Elsie in Cotton Lawn




For a full review of the Elsie Overshirt pattern, have a look at the Curvy Sewing Collective, where I've gathered my thoughts on the pattern after having made it twice... my first Elsie is here.


I've made this Elsie from cotton lawn that I got from Imagine Gnats. It's a bit wrinkle-prone, but I was going for a casual shirt, so I kinda like it. It's also a bit sheer (hence the camisole underneath), but I think I like that, too; it shows off the details of the pattern well. The cotton lawn is much easier to sew than the rayon challis I used for my first Elsie, that's for sure! 


I know I recently made another white shirt (my Cashmerette Harrison), but to me, they serve different purposes and have very different looks.


I made a few minor changes since my first Elsie, namely fully interfacing the sleeve tabs, doubling up the yoke on the back... again, I skipped the cuffs and placket binding and opted for a narrow turned hem on the sleeves. I imagine I'll always wear the sleeves on this one rolled up.


I love it! It's quite comfy, I love the collar (it turned out so crisp in cotton lawn!) and the roll-up sleeves. I imagine I'll get a ton of wear out this one. That is, provided I don't spill something down the front. I'll be on constant high threat alert there.


I feel good about adding this shirt to my handmade wardrobe. Back to basics. 


Don't forget to check out my pattern review at the Curvy Sewing Collective for a detailed review and a side-by-side with my rayon challis Elsie!

13 comments:

  1. Love this! Very classy. I really like the rolled sleeves, too. Also love your comment about not spilling anything... i have lost some good clothes that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am loving it, too, provided I can keep it clean ;-)

      Delete
  2. i love it in white. there's nothing like a white shirt, is there? the rolled sleeves look good, too. i just checked it against the blue flowered shirt (your first one) and i think the solid white makes the most of the pattern. it really shows off the details. and of course, white looks great with tomato sauce. at least mine always do :> btw, i looked up revere collars and got camp shirt collars. take a look: http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/04/20/james-bond-revere-collar-camp-shirt/ as much as i adore james bond, it's not so classy as the elsie, is it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! The white definitely shows off the lines of the shirt best! Ha ha, hopefully I can keep it tomato sauce free..

      Yeah, all the revere collars (and reverse revere collars) I found looked nothing like the Elsie collar.

      Delete
  3. I really like this shirt and you can never have too many white shirts. The notched collar does look so crisp in the cotton lawn. Another Style Arc pattern to add to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! It's a great pattern- highly recommended!

      Delete
  4. going one or two sizes up in a heavier fabric with the long sleeves would make a great shirt-jacket as well. (light wool herringbone? lined flannel? baby corduroy?) but i do have a question: in the small photo on the style arc pattern page, there's a live model wearing the shirt from a side view to show the bust dart. the dart seems to be quite low on her. did you find that to be true? i've had trouble in the past with style arc patterns being too tight in the bust or too huge everywhere else and i wanted to know in advance if this was going to be an issue. i have a very large cup size and a relatively small back with narrow shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shirt jacket would look cool, Barbara!

      For me the darts were in the right place. If you have a large cup size, though, I think you'd need to make a full bust adjustment. It sounds like you're choosing a size that's too large for you- go down a size, but do an FBA and perhaps you'll have better results?

      Delete
    2. sad, but yes. i always try to avoid that because i'm so lazy. but it's the only way for the neck and shoulders to fit. i am glad to know that the height of the dart isn't an added issue. thanks for the input.

      Delete
  5. This looks fabulous - and really can you have too many white shirts? I don't think so. So classic. I finally jumped on the Style Arc bandwagon, and bought a bunch of their patterns during their black friday sale. You've totally inspired me!

    ReplyDelete