Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Testing, testing: Cashmerette Turner Dress


Today I've got my tester version of the brand new Cashmerette pattern, the Turner Dress, to share with you!


The Cashmerette Turner Dress is a skater-style knit dress with a lovely v-neck, flared skirt and multiple sleeve length options. The bodice is lined, resulting in a smooth, clean-finished neckline.


We tested this pattern a long time ago (check out my old hair in these photos!), so I am stretching to remember all the sewing details! It's been a tough one to keep a secret...!


For my tester version, I went with a ponte de roma for my main fabric, with a thin swimsuit-esque lining to line my bodice. You might remember this ponte from my Seamwork Astoria and my unwearable-until-I-fix-it My Image Elsa sweater.


The lining fabric is perfect for this dress since it's thin and has one-way stretch. However, it doesn't really work for swimwear, as I found out the hard way. I figured the one-way stretch in the lining would work well for the Turner because it would help keep the bodice from stretching out from the weight of the skirt- it worked perfectly! I ended up understitching the neckline to ensure the unattractive nude-colored lining didn't roll to the outside.


I made my usual Cashmerette size, 14 C/D graded to 16 at the waist/hip. I probably could have done with a straight size 14 because of the ease in the skirt...

Also, somehow my waistline got a teeny bit stretched out while sewing, but I think that's user error.


The Turner is such a simple and satisfying pattern. I love the shape of the v-neck, it's comfy to wear, will look good in lots of different fabrics... what's not to love?!

18 comments:

  1. Looking pretty in pink! Meg, thank you for sharing your latest make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pink and I'm glad that ponte works! I was thinking about using that for a future version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorene! Yep, ponte worked out just fine!

      Delete
  3. Really like the lines of the dress, how perfect for scarves, jewelry, etc. your stitching,looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie! The Turner is definitely a great blank slate for accessorizing!

      Delete
  4. How does it compare to the Moneta, they look really similar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first association was the Lady Skater but I would also be interested to know how they compare.

      Delete
    2. It's definitely a skater-style dress, although, as compared to Lady Skater, it has the v-neck, lined bodice (so no neckband), and cup options. It also has a higher waist.

      As compared to Moneta, the back neck is much higher, the neck is a very different shape, the skirt is flared rather than gathered, it's got cup sizing...

      Delete
  5. Your dress looks great. I'll have to try swim suit lining. I rarely self line as it's too hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginger! Yeah, I was worried about self-lining with the ponte for reasons of bulk and heat. The swimsuit lining (well, it was labeled swimsuit lining, but it's really not because it doesn't have the requisite 2/4 way stretch) worked great!

      Delete
  6. I love the dress I want to make it with This cotton sateen I found at Mood Fabrics. Do you think it is a good choice?
    http://www.moodfabrics.com/sparkling-grape-stretch-cotton-sateen-304039.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Unfortunately, I don't think your fabric choice would really work well for this dress- it's really designed to be made with knits, not wovens. It needs a fabric that has 50% stretch and I don't believe most stretch sateens have that. I would go for a cotton/lycra jersey, ponte de roma or rayon/lycra jersey if I were you!

      Delete
  7. I love a lined bodice--it always makes for such a clean look. This dress has such a pretty feminine silhouette. Jenny really understands women's bodies! Seeing this, I'm actually looking forward to making the black dress I have planned for violin wear from Jalie's Bella.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous as always, Meg! How hard was it to not make this in a print? :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this on you Meg! What a fantastic colour! I can only imagine how hard this was to keep secret. It looks like such a great everyday staple.

    ReplyDelete