Saturday, November 26, 2016

Wearable Muslin: Itch to Stitch Bonn Shirt

In which I regret my fabric choice because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be out of place on a lounge chair cushion on the Golden Girls' lanai...



I am planning to make an Itch to Stitch Bonn dress for the holidays out of some sparkly crepe fabric from Style Maker Fabrics, but I wanted to make sure I nailed the size/fit before cutting into it... hence this wearable (but is it? really?) muslin. Plus, I wanted to sneak one more shirt under the wire 


For my Bonn shirt, I chose a size 12, D-cup at the bust, graded out to a 16 at the hip. I was a little bit skeptical because I am almost never a 12, but the sizing actually worked out really well! The shirt is fairly loose-fitting, with no darts or anything on the back bodice, and bust darts shaping the front.


For the dress, I am considering going up to an 18 at the hip, just for a little more wiggle room there. It's hard to tell whether the 16 hip will work because the curved shirt-tail hem goes up over my widest point, so the shirt is not necessarily indicative how how the dress will fit in that region. Maybe I should just trust the measurements, though.


For this shirt I opted for the 3/4 length sleeves. The sleeve width is not bad at all. I may increase the size of the bicep ever so slightly for my dress, but that's not unusual for me. Next time I may only interface half of the cuff, which is folded over upon itself, because mine ended up a little bit stiff with the double interfacing.


I struggled a little bit with the collar, which is like a highly-curved collar stand. Admittedly, collar stands are one of my weak points. I stink at getting that little curve at the front to look nice and cover the seam allowance. But luckily it looks ok from the outside and the Bonn collar lays nice and flat to the body so no one will see the inside!


Ok, back to the fabric. This fabric one of those purchases that seemed like a good idea at the time but made me question my own taste when I looked at it later. The colors, the faux paint strokes. Ug. I bought it locally at one of my favorite fabric shops here in Bangkok. Perhaps if the color combination were different it wouldn't be so bad, but the tan and that shade of purple? Nope.


However, the fabric does feel great- nice and drapey, easy to sew. I think maybe it's a viscose blend?
 

Ok, so let me summarize in case there was any confusion: fabric bad, shirt good. I'll definitely make more of the Bonn shirt, but will be paying closer attention to my fabric purchases in the future!!
  

34 comments:

  1. It's a really nice shirt pattern - hope version 2 makes you happier! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern is great! Version 2 is already in the works!

      Delete
  2. I don't sew as much as you so these might not be good points but...you weren't sure about the measurements at the top of the shirt but that worked out so maybe trust the measurements for the bottom? Or cut the 18 because you can always take in the seams a bit if it's too big.
    Also, I think that fabric could work but better with jeans and heels (do you wear jeans or is it too hot?). I think trying to make it more office-y as it looks here is a little difficult, but it could work as an art top with jeans, or maybe coloured capris. I think you have to go with it rather than toning it down with plain black skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good ideas- thanks, Victoria!

      Delete
  3. Actually, it's not a bad print. It would look really cute worn casual. And, it's perfect with those awesome shoes! Looking forward to seeing your dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, maybe I'll give the print another chance. I obviously liked it at some point, right?

      Delete
  4. Great to see your Bonn shirt -- I have the pattern, but have not sewn it yet. --- And if you really don't like the fabric, how about dying the shirt in a colour that would work with the existing colours? That is, if there's not too much synthetic fiber in the blend...
    Love to read your blog, by the way, have for some time now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great pattern! Hmm, dying may be a good option. Maybe I'll try it with the scraps first.

      Delete
  5. I actually really like the print. Although I can see that on the lanai. But I would totally wear that print proudly. Like the shirt on you. I actually bought the Bonn shirt, now that I've seen it on you I'm going to make one. Our measurements are similar so I always wait to see what size you make things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bonn pattern is great- I hope you like it! Ha, I keep going back and forth with this print. One second it's fine, the next I hate it. I can't decide!

      Delete
  6. I like the shirt. The fabric isn't awful jut once you start looking it does remind me of decor in cheap motels... looking forward to seeing the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes - it looks like a motel bed cover!!

      Delete
  7. The pattern is a win! It's not at all obvious that the collar was a struggle--it sits prettily and crisp from the pictures. That little point is tough. I've gotten better at it after all the button downs I make for my boys, but I always have to gear myself up to tackle that. It's the worst 2". I wonder if you could overdye the shirt to get some colors that are more in your palette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bonn pattern is really great, and fast to sew. I imagine I'll make lots of them! Ug, that part of the collar is the worst 2"!

      Delete
  8. It looks great. I'd wear the fabric. Thanks for showing us what you made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorrie! I keep going back and forth on the fabric...

      Delete
  9. I thought the print looked great on you. Would be great for spring/summer at the office. The actual cut and fit of the blouse is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Misha! I'm of two minds on the print, but I love the fit of the shirt and will definitely make more!

      Delete
  10. Oh I think this looks great...both the pattern and the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jean! Maybe it will grow on me?

      Delete
  11. I love this shirt and the fabric is not so bad if you style it differently. Maybe with khaki or white or the blue jeans mentioned above? I think it would be really pretty in the fall or spring if you have those "in between" seasons like we do here in the US. I do not like it with the black. It seems floaty and that brings it down.
    This pattern is just what I was looking for! I found some rayon floral fabric I bought in the '70s and need a blouse or shirt pattern. I like this one and one you recently showed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else mentioned the styling, too. Maybe I'll try it with something else in my closet and see how it goes.

      The pattern is great, though!

      Delete
  12. I've been looking for a shirt pattern with a similar neckline and none have been quite right - thanks for showing this one off ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neckline is quite nice! I love the pattern!

      Delete
  13. Meg I really appreciate your blog. You have a similar shape to mine and I like your style. This will come in very handy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this loose fitted top. MOOD Fabrics has a new designer floral viscose fabric (Marc Jacobs Navy Floral Viscose Taffeta) will look great for this project. http://www.moodfabrics.com/marc-jacobs-navy-floral-viscose-taffeta-310393.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! That fabric is lovely!

      Delete
  15. I think this shirt looks great on you!! I can see how you're not in love with the fabric but really it doesn't look bad at all! I love the Bonn Shirt too, but I also struggled with the collar. I think mine looks uneven, but I doubt anyone will ever notice as long as I don't point it out. Can't wait to see the dress version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggled with the collar. I don't think anyone will notice, but mine is uneven, too- the curves and the point at the end were tough!!

      Delete
  16. Your shirt looks great on you and I love the fabric. The colours suit you, too. I haven't printed the Bonn shirt yet but having seen yours I must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! It's a lovely pattern- I hope you like it!

      Delete