Sunday, April 30, 2017

Me-Made-May 2017

It's that time of year again... Me Made MayCreator Zoe describes it as follows:
"Me-Made-May'17 (#MMMay17 for social media interaction) is a challenge designed to encourage people who sew/knit/crochet/refashion/upcycle garments for themselves to wear and love them more."
A post shared by Zoe Edwards (@sozoblog) on

I've participated in this fun event over the past few years (this is my fourth time) and I always find it to be illuminating. It really helps you take a hard look at your wardrobe to help you identify gaps, see how your handmade garments work together, etc. You can check out my Me-Made-May posts from previous years here.

Me-Made-May 2014: Dat hair!?

This year, I am planning to take a photo every day, ideally in the wild, rather than just in front of my terribly lit mirror. I will post them daily on Instagram Stories, but also do an Instagram round-up at the end of each week and a blog round up twice per month (I only posted 3 of 4 weeks last year, so we'll see how it goes).

Me-Made-May 2015: the year of the beverage

Here's my pledge!

I, Meg of http://cookinandcraftin.blogspot.com/, sign up as a participant of Me Made May '17. I endeavour to wear at least one me-made garment every day and wear at least two me-made garments three times per week for the month of May 2017." 

I feel like my handmade wardrobe is sufficient enough to easily tackle this pledge (#memadeeveryday!). The only reason I put in that bit about wearing two garments three times per week is because I often just throw on a dress in Bangkok's heat, when I should be mixing and matching my separates more. 

Me-Made-May 2016: prints ahoy

I'm hoping this month of wearing my handmade garments will also help me to cull my wardrobe a bit, to find the pieces that are worn out or not worn at all anymore. It's worked for me in past years, but this year is particularly necessary: we'll be moving in June and my wardrobe needs will be very, very different at that point! I'd also like to try to upcycle some of the pieces I don't wear anymore, but that may be overly ambitious!

14 comments:

  1. I'll be following you along on Instagram! It wil be my third year taking part, as I should have plenty of spare time in May, I'm hoping to finish some items and weed out my wardrobe. Can I be nosy and ask where you are moving to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Me-Made-May is a fabulous opportunity to finish up languishing projects and weed through the wardrobe.

      I'm moving back to the U.S.- Vermont!! Couldn't be any different, weather-wise, from Bangkok!

      Delete
    2. Wow! That is indeed quite a different place! All the best with packing up and I can't wait to see you're colder weather projects, I really enjoy following your blog.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to following your progress this May! I've been reading your blog a while but this is my first time commenting. I really enjoy the variety you sew and I loved seeing what your Mum made, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Philippa! Glad you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. Prints ahoy! That's really funny. It's always fun to see people's makes "in the wild" as you say. That's a good challenge. Are you moving out of Thailand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "in the wild" photos, too, but in Bangkok all of my in the wild shots are sweaty and red-faced ;-)

      Yep, bidding Thailand farewell and moving back to the U.S.- Vermont!! Couldn't be any different, weather-wise, from Bangkok!

      Delete
    2. Ha! In the wild for me is in the carpool line at school multiple times a day! I hope everything goes well with the move.

      Delete
  4. Guess you'll need to do a bunch of sewing before winter then. Looking forward to following along with your MMM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! So much winter sewing to do. All of my winter clothes, with the exception of a few things I've sewn in the last few months, are over 7 years old. I have no idea what's in my storage back in the States!

      Delete
  5. I love the extra separates challenge! Can't wait to follow along and fall just a bit more for your effortless chic style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I think separates and layering will be easier in a cooler climate, but as you saw in Bangkok, the fewer clothes, the better!!

      Delete
  6. That is a big move! I hope you will be near family.
    Btw, when Handmade by Carolyn posted her new Kalle....I was waiting for you to post yours �� It just looks so right for this heat.
    Mary in Thailand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a big move! I'm a little bit stressed.

      We will be not far from where I grew up, which will be nice.

      Ha ha, I want the Kalle so badly, but can't justify it at the moment. Maybe when I get back to the States...

      Delete