Sunday, April 16, 2017

Sewcation Outfit 4: Shirt Tail T and Elle Pant


The last, but not least, outfit in my mom's sewcation wardrobe is the perfectly summery combination of a striped Hot Patterns Fast and Fabulous Shirt Tail T and a pair of white Style Arc Elle pants.


For the t-shirt we cut an 8 at the bust and 12 at the hip, which seems about right. We sized down one size from what the chart suggested for her measurements because it was my experience that this pattern runs large


My mom sewed this top, but with plenty of advice on stripe placement and matching from me since I had already sewn up this pattern in a stripe. Here were my specific instructions: 

1) Be sure to place the dominant/darker color stripe at the bottom edge of both upper front bodice pieces (unlike I did; I should have done the dominant stripe at the bottom of the triangular upper side bodice piece, too, so I could get that perfect triangle in the middle!)

2) To account for the seam allowances, cut 3/8" away from the dominant stripe! Otherwise you'll end up with narrow, partial stripes where the pattern pieces meet up in the center front.

She nailed on the stripe matching, that's for sure!


I also had a few choice words about how difficult sewing the deep, curved hem was. She ended up having the same problem, so she ultimately opted to draft a 2" deep hem facing, which worked out nicely.

The fabric is a nice, thick navy and white striped cotton jersey that we bought here in Bangkok. I've squirreled away the remainder of it for myself!


The pants are the Style Arc Elle pant, which my mom has made several times, in a stretch cotton sateen. She used a size 14 and added an inch to the rise in the center back. She had arrived in Bangkok with these pants cut out, pieces still attached to the pattern (insert tears of laughter emoji here) and sewed them up at my apartment.


I love how she looks in this outfit! It's got a fun nautical feel and is so perfect for summer!