Sunday, April 16, 2017

Sewcation Outfit 4: Shirt Tail T and Elle Pant


The last, but not least, outfit in my mom's sewcation wardrobe is the perfectly summery combination of a striped Hot Patterns Fast and Fabulous Shirt Tail T and a pair of white Style Arc Elle pants.


For the t-shirt we cut an 8 at the bust and 12 at the hip, which seems about right. We sized down one size from what the chart suggested for her measurements because it was my experience that this pattern runs large


My mom sewed this top, but with plenty of advice on stripe placement and matching from me since I had already sewn up this pattern in a stripe. Here were my specific instructions: 

1) Be sure to place the dominant/darker color stripe at the bottom edge of both upper front bodice pieces (unlike I did; I should have done the dominant stripe at the bottom of the triangular upper side bodice piece, too, so I could get that perfect triangle in the middle!)

2) To account for the seam allowances, cut 3/8" away from the dominant stripe! Otherwise you'll end up with narrow, partial stripes where the pattern pieces meet up in the center front.

She nailed on the stripe matching, that's for sure!


I also had a few choice words about how difficult sewing the deep, curved hem was. She ended up having the same problem, so she ultimately opted to draft a 2" deep hem facing, which worked out nicely.

The fabric is a nice, thick navy and white striped cotton jersey that we bought here in Bangkok. I've squirreled away the remainder of it for myself!


The pants are the Style Arc Elle pant, which my mom has made several times, in a stretch cotton sateen. She used a size 14 and added an inch to the rise in the center back. She had arrived in Bangkok with these pants cut out, pieces still attached to the pattern (insert tears of laughter emoji here) and sewed them up at my apartment.


I love how she looks in this outfit! It's got a fun nautical feel and is so perfect for summer!

24 comments:

  1. I love this outfit. The stripe placement on the tee is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! The striped version on the pattern cover is what drew me to the pattern in the first place. So cool!

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure which stripe placement I like better, yours or your mom's. Your placement has more visual movement. I just received my Fast and Fabulous pattern in the mail. How did you cut out the hem facing? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured out the hem facing. Do it just like a facing around the neckline, obviously. Trace the bottom hem and place on the fold or something like that. Love your blog.

      Delete
    2. I wasn't that bothered by the stripe placement on mine, but now that I see my mom's, I like hers better! Sorry about the delay in responding to your question on the hem facing. Yes, just trace the bottom hem. We made the facing 2" high.

      Delete
  3. Very fresh and yes kicking it with those stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! facing the hem is a great idea. I get lazy and sew the hems first, then the side seams - no way can those curves be hemmed after the sides are sewn! I've enjoyed your mom's staycation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sewing the hems first might have worked- I didn't think of it. But I also like the weight the hem facing gives.

      Delete
  5. What a cute outfit! Your mom is so committed to the Sewcation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is your mom so fly???? This is a perfect hot weather outfit. And, thanks for the feedback on the stripe placement / seam allowance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- I'll tell her you said so! ;-) Hope the info on stripes is helpful!!

      Delete
  7. I've made two solid versions of that top. I feel so much better after reading this because I thought I was just having a struggling beginner moment with that curved hem. It wasn't just me! It was even more difficult when I accidentally made one with a rayon challis instead of a knit. It still worked out ok with some modifications. And, yes, that pattern runs BIG. Your mom looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deep, curved hem is really tough! It's not just you, definitely!

      And thanks!!

      Delete
  8. Meg, your mum is so fab tho! I'm just loving all her sewcation outfits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Abbey! She definitely made out like a bandit on this sewcation!

      Delete
  9. Drafting a facing for the shirt sounds like the best solution! The outfit is superb!

    ReplyDelete