Monday, April 10, 2017

Testing, testing: True Bias Lodo Dress

Here is my tester version of the latest from Kelli at True Bias: the Lodo dress!!


The Lodo dress pattern is a cute t-shirt dress with a subtle cocoon shape, quite possibly the perfect v-neck and wan extended cap sleeve... so, pretty much my ideal dress.


View A is mid-calf length with a slit and View B’s hem hits a couple of inches above the knee.


One unique feature of the Lodo dress pattern is that it uses woven facings for the neckline and armholes, which provide great structure.

They're easy to sew and are also a fabulous scrap buster. I used black and white batik scraps from my Ilsley skirt for mine:
I cut the longer version, View A. Lodo is meant to be made from heavier knits, "medium weight stable knit fabrics," so I opted for a black rayon ponte for mine. Worked out perfectly!

I love this dress! It's quite elegant in its simplicity. It's also incredibly comfortable and definitely a wardrobe staple.

In a solid color, it's perfect for accessorizing, but it would also be the perfect opportunity to show off a wild print with its simple seamlines!

 

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks!! I love how it turned out!

      Delete
  2. I have been planning a kicky striped swimsuit cover-up in exactly this shape (though in my head the cover-up is sewn in a woven). Maybe I should rethink fabric choice. This looks great on you - that neckline is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! A striped version of this dress would be fabulous!

      Delete
  3. I really like this!! Have you tried it belted? I'm just curious, it seems like that might be a great way to switch it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inder! I haven't tried it belted yet- it could work, but I worry it might be slightly bunchy because of the cocoon shape. But it has a CB seam, so if you wanted to take it in there to make it more belt-able, that would be easy!

      Delete
  4. I bought the pattern last week because i was sure you'd do a review,thanks 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you feel it compares to the StyleArc Adeline dress, outside of the fabric choice? I'm interested in your comments since I know you've made both....WOW does this solid black look fab on you...I think you need a Navy for summer as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Hmmm. The dresses are similar in their cocoon shape, but I think Lodo is a bit closer fitting than Adeline. I made Adeline out of such different fabrics, it's a little bit hard to compare. Adeline doesn't have a slit in the back and has the high-low hem, whereas Lodo has a straight hem and slit. Adeline has much longer sleeves, with the turn backs. Adeline is generally a more pronounced cocoon shape. I hope that's helpful!

      Delete
  6. I keep telling myself that I don't need any more patterns in my library, and then I find out that I need to add more patterns like this one. It's getting added to my list! I love your "staple-worthy" test version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I know the feeling too well! And thanks for the compliments!

      Delete
  7. wonderful dress...tres chic! Very much in the lagenlook style I'm such a huge fan of. I'll buy this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, I wasn't enthused by yet another "simple" indie pattern (why not just add on to a TNT tee is what I was thinking!), but I have to admit that this one does look fantastic on you. It wouldn't on me, so I'm still not enthused for myself hahaha, but it's definitely a keeper for you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely a whole lot of simple patterns out there... there's always some little detail in each one that makes me curious, though! Thanks for your compliments!!

      Delete