Sunday, October 15, 2017

Plum Week: Lander in Organic Cotton Plus Twill

It's plum week here in my little space on the interwebs! Plum, prune, wine... I am really feeling all of these fruity red/purples. So plum week it is. Last week I had a wine dress, today I've got plum pants, and later this week, a plum top. I also received plums as part of my farm share this week (made this magic apple plum cobbler from them), so clearly this was meant to be, right?


The pants! After my first pair of True Bias Lander pants, I knew there would be another, and soon... I had a few tweaks to make regarding size, but was pretty enamored with the pattern!


Enter Organic Cotton Plus... they offered to send me some fabric to review, and, given my previous experiences with them (see Jasper and Riley, both wardrobe winners for me), I jumped on it. Organic Cotton Plus provided me this fabric for free, but all of my opinions are my own.


Conveniently, Organic Cotton Plus has a line of cotton twill that is the same weight (7 oz/square yard) that Kelli at True Bias recommends for the Lander pattern (she used this weight in her gorgeous sample photos)! Plus, the twill is Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS)-certified, which means it's certified to be produced in a manner that's environmentally and socially responsible. Yes.


While the twill comes in a pretty wide variety of colors, the plum color immediately jumped out at me. This fabric is great! It's not too heavy, not too light; definitely the perfect weight for the Lander pant. The color is vibrant and rich, and I can feel good about the fabric's origins.


After finding my first (tester) pair of Landers to be a bit big all around, I decided to size down to a 16. Luckily, for the final pattern, Kelli provides a 1" seam allowance on the outer leg seam so that you can tweak the fit. I ended up giving myself a bit more room through the hip/lower belly area, but sticking with the 16 elsewhere. Perhaps I should have done a legitimate full abdomen adjustment of some sort, but this cheater side seam adjustment worked out ok, too. 


 I went with the suggested hem allowance (I may be close to 5'8", but I have the legs of a 5'5" woman), which seems better than my slightly-too-long first pair of Landers. Does it look right, though? Or too short? I can't decide what the best length should be... help me, stylish internet friends.


Other construction details: I skipped the belt loops this time, because I'll never use them. I lined the front pockets with rayon challis scraps from my Suki robe. I also decided to add a little strip of interfacing to the top of the back pockets to prevent them from stretching out. For the corners of the back pockets I topstitched little triangles for extra security, like you do on a shirt's front pocket. The jeans buttons are from Joann Fabrics; I liked the dark color. 


I think the Lander pant fits in well in my handmade wardrobe. Here I paired it with a long sleeved t-shirt (not handmade... turns out long sleeved t-shirts are a hole in my me-made closet) and my new Estelle jacket/cardigan thing. I tried it on with a few other things, too, and found it looked good with my Appleton top, Harrison shirts and several other tops. Hooray!


I'm really happy with these pants! The color is just gorgeous and I think they're pretty cute. I'd be curious to try a bottomweight with a hint of stretch if I make the Lander pants again. Organic Cotton Plus has a denim-like stretch twill that's slightly heavier than their non-stretch twill. Do you think it would work?

23 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I'm distracted but your cute little balcony railing! Could it be you've found your new forever-photo-location? (What can I say, I'm a fan of taking pics on the while balcony of 100 year old houses... ;) I'm going to miss my front porch when we move someday!)
    Your pants look great, and plum is a fabulous colour on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!

      Ha ha... I don't know about forever! It's a one-year lease, so that may limit it ;-) Also, apparently that one column you see is rotten (the joys of old house living), so they are going to replace it in November with a temporary one, so it may not be so photogenic. I do like this porch spot, though! Nice indirect light at many times of day, and I don't have to go far from my house or brave weird stares from folks (except that dog next door that hangs over the edge of his porch, staring).

      Delete
  2. I like the color and the length of these pants. I'm glad you reviewed the organic plus twill since I'd seen it on their site and was wondering about it. Also may I suggest long sleeve Concord Tees. Making a bunch is on my fall sewing list. One last thing loved the Joann's comment - you're truly back in the States! 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn! The twill is pretty nice!

      I will definitely be making some Concords... I just have to find my pattern. My sewing room is still a bit of a mess!

      Ha, yes, definitely in Joann's mode now. Have coupon, will buy!

      Delete
  3. I think the length is great, the pants are great, the color is great, it's all GREAT! I went ahead and bought some of the Navy twill from Organic Cotton Plus, it is washed and waiting. You are right it is dreamy fabric. I am almost done with my first denim pair of Landers and I am quite in love with this pattern, can see many pairs of these puppies on my wardrobe this year..... Wool, corduroy, heavy weight linen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Oooh- I can't wait to see your Landers!

      Delete
  4. They look fantastic! I love the colour, and the look of the buttons with the length (which is perfect in my opinion!) is overall very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad the length is ok. I keep going back and forth!

      Delete
  5. That length looks great with the shoes. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad to have another opinion on the length! Sometimes it's hard to judge these things yourself.

      Delete
  6. These look beautiful on you. I love the color and the structure of this fabric. and yes, your backdrop is lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I am obviously totally enamored of this color!

      Delete
  7. These look great! Looks like you're enjoying being somewhere that has definite seasons. (Never did get to go fabric shopping in Bangkok - ended up in hospital in Siem Reap and had to go straight home if I was to be released. Shame.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love seasons, although ask me again how I feel about them in February/March...

      I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience in S.E. Asia! I hope you're feeling better and get another chance to see Bangkok!

      Delete
  8. This fabric looks amazing! Very, very well fitting pants; and nicely sewn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am really happy with how they turned out!

      Delete
  9. THOSE PANTS!!! I just love them on you! You did a beautiful job fitting them, and the style looks great in plum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Vanessa!! I am in love with them, too.

      Delete
  10. I admire the fit you achieved with these pants. The plum is another great color on you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. My. Goodness. I always just lurk your blog, but I have got to comment on these stunning pants ('this pant'?)!
    The color is spot on with your hair and skin, the cut is incredible...Wow! You're making me second-guess this pattern, since I didn't think it very attractive in the designers photos. I almost commented on your last post, with the beautiful turtleneck dress and sharp topper - So Sophisticated! - but this takes the cake. It seems so much easier to make a lovely dress, sewing blogs are chock-full of gorgeous examples, but I would take these Smokin' pants any day. A rarity. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I struggle with "pants" vs. "pant," too? I feel like either is correct/fine.

      Thanks so much for your lovely compliments! I am really loving these pants, too.

      Delete
  12. These pants are just beatiful! Love the color and the length is spot on. And as far as pants/pant is concerned, they were considered to be 2 separate items used together (like scissors). Modern English is gradually erasing that historic usage, so "pant" referring to the entire garment is becoming an accepted use of the word. :)

    ReplyDelete