Friday, January 3, 2020

Glebe Pants and Sew Suit Up

I'm pretty excited about this project: the Muna and Broad Glebe pants!


You might have heard, but Leila and Jess have created a new pattern company, Muna and Broad, that caters to the very under-served larger size range. Their Glebe Pants, Torrens Box Top and undies patterns are stylish and designed specifically with larger bodies in mind. I applauded them when their patterns first came out and then was selfishly very delighted when they decided to expand their range downwards to fit small fats like me. 


Leila asked me to test the new size range of the Glebe pants, which now fit hip sizes of 46.5"-71.5" (118-181.5 cm). In exchange for my testing feedback I received a copy of the pattern for free.


The Glebe pants are a wide leg pant with deep pockets, and a choice of either a full elastic waistband or a flat front/elastic back waistband with pleats. The pleated front version, can be fully lined, too. The Glebe Pants have basically a built-in full butt adjustment: a generous rise, and ample room through the crotch to accommodate large bodies. 


These are size iii, to fit my 46" hip in View A, the fully elastic waistband, and they're pretty great! The tester version initially had a higher rise in my size, but was ultimately scaled back a bit, so I trimmed my rise down to be more like the final pattern. It's perfect for me now! High enough to sit right at my natural waist. So comfy!

As you can see they're not quite full length on me, but not quite cropped, so I'd probably add more length the next time I make them- maybe an inch or two?


These Glebe pants are made some floaty, silky (but very wrinkle-prone) tencel denim from my stash. It's very light weight and works well with the Glebe Pants pattern for a summery pant. You might also remember this fabric from my Pona Jacket- I had a large cut of it in my stash.


After making this summery version of the Glebes, now I'm curious to make them in a heavier weight fabric more appropriate for the weather we're having now. I'm thinking of the pleated front version in lightweight corduroy or wool suiting!


Speaking of my Pona jacket... as I was thinking of how to style these Glebe Pants for my photos, I realized that I had accidentally made an entry into both Sew Fancy Pants and Sew Suit Up, two challenges running this January! Tencel denim suit for the win!: