Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Sew Twists and Ties: Seamwork Flor Cardigan

A very practical Sew Twists and Ties project this week!



Seamwork's Flor cardigan appealed to me immediately when it was released- it looked like a comfy but classy and classic work piece. But I was really sold when I saw Shar's versions in red and taupe- such a lovely cardigan!


Plus the Flor, a tie-waist cardigan, was perfect for Sew Twists and Ties, so it got bumped near the top of my sewing list.


This is a size 16, which is the biggest size in the "misses" fit range. Compared to the curvy range it looks like it has more ease in the bust, but less in the waist and hip. Perhaps I should have made the curvy version, because it does look like I could use a teeny bit more room in the bum zone.


I opted for the longer version, and the only fit change I made was to do a 3/4 inch full bicep adjustment on the sleeve after doing a quick tissue fit. I wanted to wear this cardigan as a layer over other garments, so I wanted to ensure I had room in the sleeves.


I *think* this fabric is a bamboo/cotton stretch sweatshirting in moss that I got from Imagine Gnats earlier in 2019. It's fluffy on one side, matte and smooth on the other, nice stretch and recovery, maybe medium thickness? It appears the Flor samples were made from a jersey of some sort, but I wanted something a bit more substantial/less clingy.


I love how my fabric choice worked with the pattern! Flor has a neck facing, and I think the thicker, more stable fabric worked well with the facings. Historically I've had trouble with knit facings, but this one went swimmingly.


My Flor's tie belt is a little bit wider and longer than the pattern piece; I just used up the rest of the fabric I had. In turn, I made the belt loops a bit bigger to accommodate the wider belt.


I'm not sure I'm totally sold on the look of the belt loops, though; I think they're a bit bulky in this fabric and they ruin the smooth line of the cardigan. But if I don't keep them, I couldn't wear the cardigan open and not lose the belt. Decisions, decisions...


I really like my Flor! I think I'll get a lot of wear out of it at the office. It's a little bit robe-like but in an office-appropriate way.