Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Testing, testing: Sew Liberated Lichen Duster


Happy to share my tester version of the latest pattern from Sew Liberated, the Lichen Duster!


(PS: I know I said no more #SewTwistsandTies project, but this one kinda counts, right?)


I was a tester for this pattern, so Sew Liberated provided me with the pattern and a small stipend for fabric in exchange for my feedback on the fit and instructions.


The Lichen Duster is a fun unlined wrap-style coat that comes in sizes 0-30. It's got a narrow shawl collar, a full high-low (or straight) skirt with gores and a long, shaped belt that wraps twice around your waist. The angled hip pockets are nice and deep.


It's a Sew Liberated pattern, so it has lot of instructions on how you can engage in some slow sewing if you like, such as french seams, to make this detailed duster a real heirloom piece. Or you can be a lazy bum like me and serge your seam allowances. Ha! To be fair, I did hand sew the collar facing down...


This is a straight size 18 Lichen, with the high-low hem. My body measurements put me between and 18 and 20, but I’ve found past Sew Liberated patterns to be roomy, so I went with an 18, which was pretty spot on!

The only fit issue I had was was that I found the sleeves to be a little bit long, so I ended up hemming them about double the amount the pattern called for, about 1.5 inches.


I like how the Lichen Duster has a waist seam in the back to give some definition; it's not just a straight shapeless back. I also love the long belt... cinches the waist in really well!

The Lichen doesn't have belt loops or belt carriers; I’ll probably go back and add some belt carriers because I know I’ll lose the belt the first time I wear it if I don't!


The fabric I chose for my Lichen Duster is a black, medium-weight 100% linen fabric from Joann, which was really nice to work with. It's got a nice sheen to it. I've been trying to sew from my stash, and have been mostly successful, but I didn't have a stash fabric big enough for this duster.


The Lichen Duster is really fun! It's got a playful and dramatic quality to it that I love. Meg of Sew Liberated shows it styled as a dress in addition to as a coat/layering piece. I don't think I'll be wearing it as a dress, but I love it as a spring and/or fall layer.