It's inching near fall weather here in Vermont, but I've still got a couple of summer projects to share!
This creamiscle of a shirt is the Helen's Closet Gilbert Top. The Gilbert Top is a slightly cropped button up shirt with a camp-style collar and a relaxed fit. View A has short sleeves and a tie-front - that's the option that caught me eye.
Please note: I received a copy of the pattern for free from Helen's Closet.
I'm treating this as my wearable muslin since I used some inexpensive batik from my stash. This fabric is not particularly high quality cotton woven, but I liked the fun orange color and geometric print. I'm very into orange lately, although I think a more pumpkin-y orange is probably more my speed.
My measurements put me in size 20 D. My measurements are all over the place these days and I'm having trouble choosing sizes, but I think I landed on the right one here.
I'm liking the fit and how the shaped ties knot easily without pulling the back of the shirt tight. I do feel like I could lose a bit of length in the back and side bodices, maybe?
Rather than buttons, I opted for pearl snaps. I had the snaps out after making Tim's shirt, and had exactly 3 left, so it was pretty meant to be.
I'm finding the short sleeves to be a bit long. I found I liked the look of the sleeves rolled up better than down. I might shorten them a bit next time I make the top.
Construction-wise, I like the method used to clean finish the facings and yoke- a modified burrito method.
I really like how my Gilbert Top turned out- it's comfy and the tie front is so cute! I'd love to make one in a solid color next time. I paired it here with my denim Pietra shorts, which I've worn a ton since making, but it also went well with wide legged pants, like my Ninni culottes.