Thursday, September 21, 2017

Sueded Scuba Style Arc Halle Skirt

In which I share awful photos of an awesome skirt...


After admiring Halle Skirts from Lara and Pauline, I bought the pattern during the most recent Style Arc sale.

The Halle skirt pattern looked like good bang for the buck: an easy-to-sew, but dramatic asymmetrical stretch pencil skirt. Yup. I love how professional the mitered corners look on those front wraps and how it could look cool with a t-shirt or a big fluffy sweater, which is how I imagine I'll wear mine come fall and winter. Here I've paired it with my Toaster Sweater.


This skirt was a really quick sew. It only has three pattern pieces plus the waist elastic, so it's two side seams, the hem and the elastic to sew. The elastic is just sewn to the top of the skirt, folded over and secured at the side seams. That's the only part of the skirt I'm unsure about, functionally... will it flip itself outward?


Perusing the aisles at Joann fabric, I found what I thought might be a fabulous fabric for this skirt- a sueded scuba knit from the Nicole Miller line- it's super soft on the outside and looks like micro-suede, but the inside feels more scuba-y. It doesn't look like it's available online anymore, but in the store it was in the clearance section and I had a coupon, so despite the high initial price tag, it was reasonably priced. Those coupons, man, they'll get you. I've been to Joann several times since returning to the States and have such a love/hate relationship with it. There is a lot of crap fabric, I don't love the way things are organized, and I always feel like there are so many restrictions on their coupons. But there are also some gems to be found and deals to be had. Hmm.


Anyway, I know scuba was all the rage a few years ago, but I never tried it since the thought of that thick poly fabric touching me in Bangkok's heat just made my skin crawl and sweat. To be honest, poly fabric touching my skin anytime kinda makes my skin crawl. But I'll plan to wear this skirt with tights for fall/winter so I won't feel it on my skin.


As you can imagine, the scuba didn't press very well, if at all, so the seams are bulkier than I would like, especially where the front is doubled at the hip and front top waistband. I'm going to try to re-press them open, or maybe even hand-stitch them open if I'm really desperate.


Sorry for the terrible photos! This actually the second set of terrible photos I took of this skirt. They really don't showcase the skirt very well. I've never claimed to be good at photography, but usually the photos are at least serviceable. But occasionally there is a garment that just refuses to let me photograph it in a way that does it justice.


I really love this skirt, though! I'll definitely be on the look-out for more cool fabrics that could work with the Halle pattern.

26 comments:

  1. That is super cute, and will fit perfectly into your wardrobe! I'm not even sure what you think is wrong with these pics, but I'm guessing maybe it's that the pic is exposed for your sweater/skin/wall, and when the skirt is over-exposed, it's showing any wrinkles in the hem etc? (If that's not it, forgive me!) I often have trouble getting the exposure right on photos of something dark, but I find it helps if I make sure the photo overall is half-dark, half-light. That way the camera can balance the two more easily, it seems. I wonder if you took pics with a dark top, or a dark background, if it would balance better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the skirt.

      Yeah, my issue with the photos is that everything except the skirt shows up so bright, but you can barely see the texture or shape of the skirt. I bet a darker shirt and/or background would help!

      Delete
  2. The skirt looks pretty albeit the photos. You look so wintery!, here in Florida we are sweating bullets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We've had some chilly days here already, although strangely August was colder than September has been so far!

      Delete
  3. I think you did an amazing job! It looks awesome on you. I know what you mean about the bulk you get while sewing with scuba type fabric. I made a dress and my seams look identical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, scuba really doesn't take a press well!

      Delete
  4. Dark fabric is so hard to photograph! Are you shooting in manual? With manual you can expose it exactly as you want it without having to worry about the meter getting thrown off by the white contrast. A couple of different exposures can help you see the difference.
    I often have similar issues with light fabrics getting too blown out. But the form of the skirt is really cool and sueded scuba sounds intriguing. I'm with you on JoAnn. I've had so many bad experiences, but once in a while the coupons are great (if you happen to magically need something that you can use a good coupon for without all the silly exclusions).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark fabric is tough! I could try manual... honestly, my brain doesn't seem to want to absorb photography tips, so I usually do auto mode and just fiddle with the light slightly as needed. Most of the time it works out, but you're right that dark or really light fabrics are tough.

      Arg, those coupons! They are awesome and frustrating at the same time. I always end up buying fabric on sale and then realizing the next week that I should have used a coupon when the fabric was full-priced in order to get a cheaper price.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes things just don't want to behave on film! Cute skirt, love a mitre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, I don't get too worked up over the photography...

      Delete
  6. cute outfit!
    That elastic waistband finish is my favorite. I'm not a fan of making casings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far, so good on the elastic waist. I was worried it would flip out but it's stayed put!

      Delete
  7. It looks great, what a perfect autumn outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It's pretty warm and snuggly!

      Delete
  8. Hi Meg! Thanks for the mention! Love your skirt! Will have to look for that fabric! I hear you about Joann's. I too have a love/hate relationship with that store. I go there for patterns and notions and like you will occasionally finds something interesting.
    Back to the bulk I had the same thing with my second version made with a very thick 4 way stretch ponte that behaves like a scuba but presses well! There's really no way around it and believe I tried! My striped version was not so bulky since I used a Livermore knit. I find myself reaching out for the lighter weight version more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pauline! I love your versions of the Halle skirt. Maybe I'll make a lighter weight version next.

      Joann's... you drive me crazy, but I can't quit you! The pattern sales will always draw me in.

      Delete
  9. This skirt is so hip and wearable! You find the coolest patterns! And actually sew them! Whereas I just buy things and then they sit and I forget about them, LOL! You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I have a lot of patterns that I thought were awesome and now just sit there, making me feel guilty because I haven't sewn them yet!
      I feel like this skirt will be so wearable... will definitely make more!

      Delete
  10. It looks great Meg. The photos are fine. We can all get an idea of what the skirt looks like on a real body as opposed to sketches which is the whole point right? I love that the asymetrical hem shows a bit of leg without the skirt being a mini (SOOOOO not happening on me). It also stops the skirt from looking frumpy but would still be ok for lots of occasions from dressy to casual. I recently made a dress in a thick ponte, almost scuba like, and I did a heap of topstitching on the seams. They didn't need finishing with an overlocker so I just left them raw. Then I separated them with my fingers as I topstiched on each side of the seam. The iron didn't seem to have ANY effect on these seams at all. I used a walking foot because the stitching really really wanted to make bubbly seams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yeah, my whole point in blogging is to share exactly that: how the garments look on a real body.

      Yes to your comments on the pattern- that's exactly what I was hoping for! Interesting but wearable!

      Maybe I'll try topstitching the side seams...

      Delete
  11. I love this skirt on you and the way you team it with tights and a jumper is just my style! How does the skirt go when you sit down? Does it spread to reveal lots of leg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Just did a double-check for you: not revealing in the slightest. The cross-over is at my knee when sitting; plenty of coverage.

      Delete
  12. That looks very comfortable and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's very cute and I like how you've styled it. Though I did do a double-take at the first photo; I'm not used to seeing you in tights! 😂 Hope you're enjoying fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Masha! I am going to have to learn how to layer again; it's been so long. I definitely haven't worn tights in over 6 years.

      Delete