Thursday, August 12, 2010

Okra Fritters!

I love okra. I don't think I'd ever had okra until I went to New Orleans for Mardi Gras in college, and then I think I didn't get the chance to try it again for years. Some people don't like the stickiness or hairiness of it, but I don't find it offensive- once you cook it, it's no longer sticky or hairy. I looooove it: deep-fried, Indian-style, and apparently now in fritters.
I saw this recipe in the Other Martha's Everyday Food magazine this month and immediately decided to make them... the okra stood up really well, stayed crisp and was perfectly complimented by the thin, equally crispy buttermilk batter. Mmmm.

Okra Fritters
adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food, September 2010

Vegetable oil, for frying
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
2 cups sliced okra
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1 egg
1/4 cup buttermilk

- Heat oil over medium in a large, heavy skillet
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Add okra and onion, toss to coat
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk
- Add egg/buttermilk mixture to okra and stir until just combined
- Drop 2-tablespoonful mounds of batter into the pan and smoosh down with spatula
- Fry until golden, about 4 minutes per side
- Drain on paper towels
- Season with salt and serve warm