Saturday, May 7, 2016

Me Made May: Week 1 Round-up

Here's my wrap-up for Week 1 of Me Made May!


I apologize for all the terrible photos... I was not feeling the selfies this week! I think it's because I wore a lot of older me-mades, per my pledge, and many of them didn't make me feel great.

Day 1: Not a glamorous start... I was feeling a bit under the weather, so I bummed around the house and did some cutting out while wearing my chambray Hudson pants:


Day 2: True to my MMM pledge, I wore one of my deep cuts, a Grainline Tiny Pocket Tank. I think I am going to give this one away... the bust/underarm area just doesn't fit right and the stiff quilting cotton exacerbates it. It's neither comfortable nor flattering. Farewell, early make!! While I am at it, I am also going to get rid of this other quilting cotton Tiny Pocket Tank and upcycle this ikat one (upcycling because I can't bear to part with the hand woven Balinese ikat fabric).


Day 3: Another deep(ish) cut, my Tilly and the Buttons Mimi blouse from Love at First Stitch. After wearing again (it's been a while), I know why I haven't been wearing it. My initial fears were confirmed: vintage, twee collars, and ditsy florals are not for me. I think my personal style has crystallized a bit over the last few years and I am confident in my decision to donate this blouse. It's also a bit tight in certain places- across the back yoke and in the armpits- which makes the decision pretty easy.


Day 4: A deep cut during the day, a batik Grainline Scout, followed by my new Style Arc Charlie skirt with a stretched out striped Union St. Tee (damn, I need a dryer!) for dinner. I think I am going to retire the Scout. It's a bit faded, short, and apparently I had trouble setting in the sleeves, because they are gathered at the sleeve heads and I hate them.


Day 5: Yet another deep cut, a Made by Rae Washi Blouse in a beautiful print that matches my measuring tape perfectly. I think this is another one for the donation pile. It's squeezing at the bust, giving me some serious uni-boob. Plus, the armscye chafes at the front when I am active (like when I am sewing or ironing). Quilting cotton may very well be the devil's work.



Day 6: I got a bit tired of wearing my deep cuts, so I went with a comfy and more recent make, my Cashmerette Concord tee during the day, then I changed into my brand new, yet-to-be-blogged Style Arc Olivia dress for beer and jenga. Bonus: my mom and husband both wore Meg-made, too! She a Deer and Doe Plantain that I made her for Mother's Day (yet to be blogged) and he his minty McCall's 6044!



Day 7: Wore my Seamwork Aires leggings for a workout:


After my workout I was (and here's where I date myself) choppin' broccoli in my fruit emoji Southport dress. Wet hair, don't care!


I got officially tired of wearing the deep cuts and I just went ahead and did a closet clean-out, going through a whole bunch of RTW and handmade items that I no longer wear for various reasons (fit, style, etc.). Turns out I have lots of "wearable muslins" that I never really wore... ha!

Ah, first week done. Happy to have cleaner closets!! How did your week go?

14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you put this post up. I am just learning to sew and I have made some errors that I have learned from. It's encouraging to see that I'm not alone. I will keep going!Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody has learning experiences/disasters when learning to sew, Natasha! Stick to it!!

      Delete
  2. I've been wearing deep cuts too this week, and likewise... not loving them all that much! I'm realising that when I'm stressed or tired, I seem to put on dull, uninteresting clothes that don't do anything to help my mood. I'm going to have to work on that!
    Here's to next week, and wearing all our favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much the right or wrong garment can change your mood, isn't it?! Yes to favorites!!

      Delete
  3. My pledge has been about rehashing the things that didn't work out. My coco dress was the first under the knife. malfunctioning trousers next week folks! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart pledge! I did a similar thing last year- mended or altered a few pieces to make them wearable- very satisfying!

      Delete
  4. What a productive first week of MMM! I had to stop making "wearable muslins" because I would try to forgo fit adjustments that would cause too much fabric surgery and make them unwearable, but then they ended up being unwearable anyway because hello, I really needed those adjustments! Then I'd end up with a lackluster first real make of the garment as well because I was trying to do those untested adjustments on the fly. Though it makes me so sad to waste fabric on muslins, I've found that I just have to do them or else I'll waste even more on makes that never quite fit right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Some of my wearable muslins get worn, but some don't, either because of fit issues or because I just don't really lie the fabric. Time for me to get some real muslin, I suppose!

      Delete
  5. This sewing caper is such a journey. Styles, fabrics & shapes that works for us are a truely an evolving beast. Quilting cotton is the work of the devil when it comes to garment sewing 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ag, quilting cotton. So tempting with its lovely prints. Many of my early garments were from quilting cotton. Now I know better, for the most part.

      Delete
  6. LOL yes about quilting cotton. Luckily I sewed a lot of it for my kids before I began sewing for myself, so my own garments made of it were minimal (and have been long donated!). I bet that wardrobe clean out felt great. On to wearing what makes you feel good; isn't that the point anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly the devil's work. Yes, my wardrobe clean-out feels awesome! Happy to have it done. And now I can wear what I like ;-)

      Delete
  7. I've worn a bunch of my older makes this week as well - time to go through some of them and have a clear out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's choppin' broccoli...choppin' brocolllliiiii....I love that!!! I have the same issue with a couple of my washis, which I really need to pull out and see if I'll where them too. I'm loving following along and seeing what you keep and what you donate!

    ReplyDelete