Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cheesy Polenta

Sorry about the delay in posting... I have lots of meals, recipes and photos to blog about, but no computer on which to put the photos currently stored on my camera (due to the fact that I spilled 1/2 of a can of coconut milk directly on the keyboard of my laptop). More to come on that later.

So, yes, a photoless entry on... polenta.

My friend Sean (Dr. Sean, if you will), came over for dinner last night. I wanted to put something together to eat that wouldn't take very long, so I decided to make a variation on this easy white bean, greens and tomato recipe (which I made a few weeks ago using swiss chard, but made with a bag of baby spinach tonight because that's what was in the fridge), and to serve it over cheesy polenta for some heft.

I only had regular cornmeal, and wasn't sure that it would work for making polenta, so I turned to Google and foodnetwork.com, both of which assured me that it was possible. The first time I Googled my question, I actually typed "making cornmeal out of regular cornmeal" instead of "making polenta out of regular cornmeal," which, as you might guess, did not turn up the results I wanted.

Anywho... I (and by I, I mean Sean, my trusty doctorate-earning sous chef) ended up following the polenta part of this recipe, doubling it for a larger group. Pretty good! We think that you can cook it longer if you want a thicker, more solid polenta.