PJs. Pahjahmahs. Pyjamas. Jammies. Pajama jammy jams. Pajamarama. Pajamas: I made them.
I know the Carolyn Pajamas are the new hotness as far as sewing sleepwear goes, and rightfully so, but I haven't purchased that particular pattern quite yet. I felt a bit guilty buying a new pajama pattern when I had several in my stash that I'd yet to make, namely the Sewaholic Tofino pajama pants and the Margot Pyjama pants from Love at First Stitch, along a few others I am probably forgetting.
Honestly, sewing something exclusively to wear around the house didn't seem that exciting relative to making something to show off in public, so the p.j. pants kept getting bumped down the list. But recently I noticed the couple of pairs of pajamas pants I've been wearing for the past 4 or 5 years, both Target specials, have gone completely threadbare, ripping at the waistband, shredded at the cuffs. As such, pajama pants quickly found their way back to the top of the list.
I started with the Sewaholic Tofino pattern, clearly. I thought they were most likely to work for me since Sewaholic patterns are made the pear shaped. Plus, that piping is pretty cute, eh?
I chose to make my Tofinos in this super bright, borderline garish orchid quilting cotton I bought from Belleboo a few months ago. Rather than make my own piping, I just used some electric green store-bought piping from my stash. I was pretty happy with my piping application: I used my invisible zipper foot.
I didn't pay to much attention to the sizing chart, figuring I would just go for the same size as my Hollyburn skirt, which fit quite well. Oh man, though, the Tofino pant pattern runs large! The legs are super wide, even for me and my thunder thighs, and also super long: I cut 2.5" off the bottom, did a 2.5" hem and still they're a bit on the long side. But: oh so comfy!
I think I'll keep them. Although perhaps next time I make p.j. pants, I'll try to use a pattern and fabric combo that produce a slightly less clown-y pair of pants ;-)