Monday, November 20, 2023

Cashmerette Randolph Skirt

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of Cashmerette/Jenny Rushmore's new book, Sewing the Curve, and it did not disappoint!

In particular, I had my eye on the Randolph skirt pattern from the book. I adore the plaid version pictured in the book and was really looking forward to making my own version. 

But let's discuss the book briefly (full disclosure, Cashmerette sent me a copy of the book, but with no obligation to post or review it). Sewing the Curve is a beginner-friendly sewing book geared towards plus-sized sewists. The book covers all the sewing basics, from choosing and threading a machine, reading a pattern, muslining, cutting and marking, pressing and sewing, seam finishes... The book includes six lovely patterns, all of which could be wardrobe staples, in sizes 12–32 and cup sizes C–H. 

Sewing the Curve is a beautiful book with lots of great information. Even though I've been sewing for a long time, I still enjoyed paging through and absorbing some of the tips and tricks Jenny shares. I think this would be a great gift for a beginner sewist or, frankly, a sewist of any skill level as a reference and for the lovely patterns. Bonus: there are also video sewalongs for all of the patterns in the book

Back to my Randolph Skirt: I dug into this cool looking pattern right away. It's a modern-looking, unlined, asymmetrical wrap skirt with a wide tie on the hip. It comes in midi or knee length. I thought the Randolph would be great office-wear. 

For my Randolph Skirt I cut a size 20 waist blended to an 18 hip, according to my measurements Cashmerette has a blog post on blending sizes for the Randolph Skirt pattern which is quite helpful! This size worked out perfectly for me. I cut the knee length version of the skirt. 

For fabric I chose a piece that's been marinating in my stash for a long time now. It's a bit of a mystery fabric, purchased at a discount fabric shop in Boston; I can't remember the name of the shop, but it was sort of in the Chinatown/Downtown Crossing area and it had what seemed like deadstock fabric, much of it displayed on hangers.

The fabric is really strange: it's a woven, but has some knit-like properties. It's like a hybrid! A tiny bit of stretch, doesn't fray much. I'm not totally sure the content, but it feels nice- maybe rayon blend of some sort? In any case, I thought the stripes would look cool with the asymmetry of the Randolph Skirt. 

The Randolph Skirt pattern came together really easily; it's a quick and satisfying sew. The cutting probably took the longest since it's cut in one layer due to the asymmetry. Plus I added time by trying to stripe match on the side seams. 

I did mess things up a bit when cutting out the interfacing for the waistband and tie facings. I wasn't playing close attention and cut the pieces glue side up when it should have been the opposite. 

I'd say my one complaint about the book's instructions is that there was no cutting diagram for the interfacing, or a note to watch out for that particular pitfall. 

I think my Randolph Skirt turned out really cute! It's comfy and chic. I love the big tie and I think the fit is great, particularly the bum. 

I paired it here with another Cashmerette pattern, my fleece Pembroke Tunic. And that's snow, not lint or dandruff ;-)