Monday, April 29, 2024

Indigo-Dyed Haskell Shirt

I've been planning some indigo dyeing after listening to a very interesting presentation from Jackie Reno about the indigo process from growing your own indigo, to fermenting it, to dyeing with it. 


I figured I should probably use up the rest of the fabric from last time I did indigo dyeing first, though. Last time was summer of 2019 and sadly most of the items I made for myself (including this favorite Shirt No. 1) don't fit me anymore. 

I had this dyed piece of linen/rayon blend from Joann, which I think is the hopsack linen. I love how the dyeing turned out- super cool and organic looking! 


It resulted in some Rorschach-like images and some fun pattern repeats. I'm seeing scarab beetles in there right now...


If I remember correctly, I loosely pleated the fabric and used evenly spaced rubber bands to get this design. 


The pattern I used is the Cashmerette Club Haskell Shirt, which I bought on a whim. I know I don't need more camp collar shirt patterns, but I can't resist!

The Haskell is a relaxed fit button-up with a camp-style collar and bust darts. It has a wide yoke, grown-on sleeves finished with cuffs, a gathered back bodice, and a curved hem.

I cut a size 20 C/D, which worked out great. 

I didn't have enough of my indigo-dyed fabric for the whole shirt, so I used some bleached muslin for the inner yoke. 

I skipped the breast pockets because I didn't want to break up the print or try to pattern match.

I think perhaps my fabric is a touch on the heavy side for this pattern; I might opt for something lighter and drapier next time.

I'm definitely pretty pleased with this project, and I anticipate I'll wear it a ton once the weather warms up! I still get a little thrill wearing something that I both dyed and sewed!