Monday, October 19, 2009

Apple Brown Betty

I saw this recipe for Apple Brown Betty on The Slow Cook, which is a blog written by a fellow Columbia Heights resident who has a massive garden in front of his row house. I had a bunch of aging apples from the past several weeks of CSA, as well as some somewhat petrified challah that I made last week, so I figured it was a go... plus I really like the name "apple brown betty."

I used an amalgamation of a bunch of different recipes... but in a nutshell, I layered brown sugar/cinnamon/nutmeg with melted butter covered challah bread crumbs and sliced apples covered in lemon juice. Baked at 375 for 40 minutes covered in foil, then set under the broiler for 3 minutes to brown. Served with vanilla ice cream! Easy and tasty alternative to apple crisp.