Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup

This soup is very loosely based on this recipe that I saw on foodgawker.com. Although not that pretty looking, it was really hearty, perfect for a rainy Saturday!

Here's what I did:
  • Rather than use squash, since we've had it a couple times this week already, I used some sweet potatoes I had lying around.
  • Peeled 'em, chopped 'em up, roasted them at 400 for about 25 minutes- until they were soft.
  • Mixed them with one can of drained diced tomatoes and one can of rinsed black beans.
  • Mashed it all together with a potato masher.
  • In the meantime, I sauteed a chopped onion, a chopped shallot, a couple cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of cumin and some salt and pepper.
  • Once that was soft, I added the potato/bean/tomato mixture in, along with about 2 cups of beef broth.
  • Let it simmer for approximately 25 minutes.
  • Pureed it with my immersion blender.
  • Served it with a ton of lime juice, some greek yogurt (out of sour cream) and cilantro.