Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pretty Polly

I've had By Hand London's Polly tank top pattern printed out and ready to roll since they first posted it (it's free!!), and am regretting not getting it sewn up earlier!  How has my to-sew list gotten so long?!

I think this might be my new go-to tank pattern.  While I clearly love the Tiny Pocket Tank, having made approximately 8,000 of them, I think the fit on Polly might be a little better for me.  And no darts!  Woo!  Plus, I like the options for fabric mixing, color blocking, etc.

Deets on my Polly sewing experience:

- The pattern seems to have a lot of ease to it: I actually went down a size from my measurements based on the finished garment measurements and was happy I did.

- I had to sew the front panel in a couple times to get it to lay flat with no puckers.  A good pressing helped immensely on that front, though.  Now that I'm looking at the photos, though, I can see the outline of the seam on the inset piece (on top of the boobs). Maybe if I make the inset in a print and the straps in the solid next time that would hide any lumps and bumps.

- I used store bought bias tape to save fabric and also because lazy.

- I used some solid cotton shirting that I bought at the Jim Thompson factory outlet and mixed it with some pretty floral cotton from Belleboo.