Monday, June 19, 2017

Testing, testing: Closet Case Patterns Charlie Caftan


This is the brand new Charlie Caftan pattern from Closet Case Patterns! Perfect for swanning about* the house or veranda with a cocktail... 


*Because I am a nerd, I looked up the origin of the phrase "swanning about." Interesting!


(I don't know why I look so skeptical in the above photo... definitely no skepticism with regards to this caftan!)

Here is Heather's description of the Charlie Caftan: "Nothing says summer elegance quite as well as a dramatic caftan. Get Caftan Body ready with Charlie, a fresh take on this warm weather staple. All versions feature a deep V neckline, kimono sleeves, inset center panel and roomy pockets. View A is modern and architectural with striking pleats beneath the bust. For a softer, more romantic dress, Views B & C feature a gently gathered bodice with an optional waist tie for a figure skimming silhouette in two skirt lengths. You may also choose between a dramatically wide kimono sleeve, or one slightly higher cut for more coverage. " You can read more about the Charlie Caftan in Heather's introductory post here.


Please note: I was a tester for this pattern and this is the tester version. A few minor changes have been made since, namely adding the sleeve option that closes a bit higher up and dropping the bodice panel by one inch.


Obviously I went for View C, the maxi caftan, because, duh: maximum swooshiness!


I love how the v-neck and side slits allow this caftan to feel a little bit sexy even though it's a mass of fabric draped around your body. 



For my fabric, I chose this gorgeous viscose print from my local shop in Bangkok. I got it in a purple colorway, also, because it was so delightful. Rayon or viscose (or even silk if you're feeling sassy) are perfect for the maxi version of the Charlie Caftan.


I love the soft gathers on the front and the waist tie to keep it from being too tent-like. I'm quite curious about View A, though, too, with those cool pleats! That could be a great pool or beach cover-up.


My Charlie Caftan simultaneously feels romantic and dramatic while also being practical for taking care of business around the house (you can certainly move in it!). And for that, I love it and want to wear it all the time.

Now please excuse me while I go fix myself a cocktail...

27 comments:

  1. I love this new pattern so much. Thanks for the review. I hope you'll do view A as I would like to see it on someone who doesn't have a coat-hanger figure before I buy it. Although actually I would buy it just for this version. The fabric is gorgeous, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I definitely have a view A on my list, but it might be a few months before I get to it since I am moving next week and putting my machines on the slow boat for 6-8 weeks!

      Delete
  2. Make that cocktail a Thai Basil Smash - because you earned it with this one! Great looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm... basil smash... good call!! And thank you!!

      Delete
  3. I love love love it! I had a sizing question for you though - do your hips fall in a larger size, and did you grade? I know the instructions say it isn't necessary with just one size different, but I'm halfway to two sizes up, and I'm scared about a TIGHT CAFTAN! Advice, please, oh wise one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! OK, so my measurements were 16 bodice and sorta between 16 and 18 hip, but I did a straight 16 at Heather's advice, which worked out well for me. I would say that there is plenty of room in the front due to the gathering, but the back is pretty straight, relatively speaking. So you may have to grade up in the back, at a minimum, to accommodate the buns.

      Delete
    2. Fabulous caftan measurement twin, although you are much taller than me. I love this! So tempted...

      Delete
    3. I think this would look great on you, measurement twin!

      Delete
  4. OH YES...horrah for maximum swooshiness! Your version is gorgeous Meg! I made one too....but our weather here on the 'wet' coast has been dismal and I've not had the opportunity to wear mine yet. Hmmmm...there is the option of swanning about the house.

    Now I want a maxi version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh- I cant wait to see yours, Sue, I bet it's bright and cheery and delightful! I hope the weather improves soon so you can wear it!

      Delete
  5. Your caftan is so gorgeous! I am really excited to make this pattern soon. I fell in love with the double gauze sample of View B, but the maxi version is so glamorous. I will have to add it to my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Teri! That double gauze version is really lovely... can't wait to see your Charlie!

      Delete
  6. Just lovely. Romantic yet practical. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody! It's truly a delight to wear.

      Delete
  7. Just lovely. Romantic yet practical. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful and so comfy looking! How do you like the big kimono sleeve? I love the look but wonder if I'd have to worry about my chest showing through the sleeve every time I lifted my arm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The armhole is a little bit low, but I don't mind it much. Note that this is the tester version, and the final version has a higher cut sleeve option!

      Delete
  9. Lovely Meg! I'm tempted especially with a tropical holiday coming up....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh - tropical holiday! This would be perfect for that occasion!

      Delete
  10. Your version is pushing me into purchase territory. I can see this being dressy for the B&B. But - packing your machines onto the slow boat? Where are you moving to and how will you survive without your machines?! Best of luck on the move - can't wait to see what's next. g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Moving to Vermont... pretty much as different as can be from Bangkok. It'll be a few months without my machines, but my mom has a couple she found on the side of the road (literally) that she is going to lend me.

      Delete
  11. So glad you tested and have a review up. I love seeing your versions of patterns and was super glad I didn't have to wait to see your take on this one. Thanks for sharing! Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you just "popped down to your local fabric store in Bangkok"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore this dress on you. I bought the pattern a while ago but now I have decided to pick up the scissors and start making a dress for our cruise. Very inspiring. Thanks Meg!

    ReplyDelete